Talk

Advanced search

Any crohns sufferers with male factor?

(4 Posts)
Mctm123 Tue 21-Apr-20 22:27:19

Hi everyone. I don’t know if anyone can help on this but something has come up tonight that has got me and my partner thinking. We’ve suffered with secondary infertility now for over 4 years. Just had our third miscarriage following ivf. We are going back to trying naturally again as we have had our little boy this way previously so it can happen but we have male factor so will take us longer if at all. Anyway, when our little boy was 1 my partner was diagnosed with Crohn’s disease. I have always wondered if this could be causing the sperm issues but when I’ve asked the hospital they have told me no. When he first got it, the medication was working but they changed it round due to his blood test levels impacting his liver. So now he is on azathrophine and allopurinol. I’ve been researching this evening and it actually turns out allopurinol can impact male fertility! Has anyone else been in this position before? We have emailed the clinic but had a response saying no one can reply at the moment due to Coronavirus. We’re going to phone the crohns and colitis UK helpline tomorrow to ask for advice but just wondered if anyone here has been in a similar position. He needs to take this medication to live a normal, healthy life but to think this could be the reason we haven’t conceived in 4 years and spent thousands of pounds on IVF when potentially this medication could have caused it is crazy but I would also be relieved if we’ve found a cause, if that makes sense. What worries me is there doesn’t seem to be many (none that I can see) alternative drugs to this one as he has to take them combined for the optimum results.

MissHoney85 Mon 27-Apr-20 08:26:56

Not exactly the same, but my OH has had terrible digestion since a bout of food poisoning about 18 years ago. Being a man he just put up with it and refused to see a doctor 🤦 until we noticed a link with gluten in October. He went to the Dr finally and was diagnosed with IBS and has since been following a low fodmap diet.

His sperm counts have always varied from 5-6m, then when we had egg retrieval in Jan (after about 2 months of no gluten and low fodmap) it was 12m.

Unfortunately the IVF didn't work that time, and they think it was probably a sperm quality issue. We are continuing with the diet and also taking a supplement called FH Pro for Men.

MissHoney85 Mon 27-Apr-20 08:30:16

Posted too soon! Meant to say, I know IBS is very different to Crohn's but even though there might not be a clinically proven link between digestive problems and fertility, our experience at least suggests that there might be. I guess it stands to reason that it might lead to some kind of systemic inflamation or other chronic immune response which inhibits sperm production. I hope you get your questions answered anyway. Good luck.

Mctm123 Thu 30-Apr-20 09:25:54

@MissHoney85 thanks a lot for your reply. It’s interesting that isn’t it? I’m glad his sperm count improved that much and even though the Ivf didn’t work, it must give you hope that the numbers have increased.

I will have a little research on what you said. In the meantime, we strongly believe this medication he is on could be a massive factor in it all. And even down to me having 3 miscarriages following ivf as on looking further into it, one of his meds actually can cause miscarriage or birth defects but none of the medical experts told us that. I’m not looking for blame though I just want a solution and hopefully we can try naturally then with no other barriers in the way. Fingers crossed. Can’t do anything until normality resumes for now.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »