Talk

Advanced search

IVF first appointment cancelled

(8 Posts)
Hungry1 Sun 22-Mar-20 07:52:16

We had a letter yesterday to say our first IVF appointment has been cancelled and we would receive a new appointment date in a few months.

I understand why they need to cancel and my rational side agrees, I'm just really disappointed. They told us that it's likely to be a year after the first appointment before we get to the point of treatment but with everything going on and appointments being cancelled I imagine the waiting list is just going to grow and grow.

It feels like it's going to be years before we even get started sad

BewilderedBee Sun 22-Mar-20 09:46:24

That's my worry @hungry. We are on the IVF waiting list but have been told we have to wait at least 12 months on that. So I make that to be at least 15 month now with all of this going on. I'm selfishly thinking, the waiting list can't go any longer though if clinics are shut and my place is held in that regard. I'm going to do some research this week in the cost of private treatment x

WhenYouveAFirstInEnglish Sun 22-Mar-20 09:51:25

I’m so sorry, it’s shit. We are pushing back six months here. Might be worth trying private treatment (be quick though as most fertility docs are also obstetricians and might start to give up their private work as our pregnant women start getting COVID).

itwasalovelydreamwhileitlasted Sun 22-Mar-20 10:29:43

@hungry1
Are you an NHS patient? I don't think IVF will be back on line on the NHS for at least 12 months or longer. Many trusts I suspect who offer 3 cycles will reduce to 1 and there will be a large increase in trusts who don't fund at all. The virus is going to cost the NHS billions

I would seriously be looking into private IVF - there are lots of interest free payment plans out there now and if you go for a mild or low dose protocol the cycle can cost as "little" as £3.5k including drugs

Hungry1 Mon 23-Mar-20 19:01:36

Thanks for your replies everyone! Sorry for all of you who are in a similar boat. I've looked at the private clinics near us, I did some research initially and saw on the website it said about £3500 but I have heard through a friend that their treatment coated over £7000! Do they add on lots of extra costs? Our trust only offers one cycle for free then we need to pay, so I had sort of prepared my mind for the idea that we will most likely have to pay for a couple of cycles but wanted to make the most of our free cycle. I don't know if I can deal with waiting a whole year before we even get to the starting block though. I had a bit of a meltdown yesterday. We had a very well meaning family member drop off their whole stock of baby things they had cleared out from their loft for 'when we have children'. Not to mention AF arrived on the same day we had our cancellation letter!

Sorry for the rant!

thefishthatcouldwish Mon 23-Mar-20 19:11:33

I feel your pain I was due to start ivf in May. I am gutted absolutely gutted. I can rationalise why and do understand but it doesn't stop me being disappointed.

mylul Mon 23-Mar-20 19:15:29

The guidelines from other governments is to put IVF and trying for a baby on hold during pandemic. I went through IVF myself and I can understand that it must be extremely frustrating to be on the waiting list. However, in our case once we have had our first visit it was very quickly. We have tried for years IVF and had our DD naturally afterward.

Paige2207 Tue 24-Mar-20 01:10:15

So sorry to read this @Hungry1 @thefishthatcouldwish @WhenYouveAFirstInEnglish @BewilderedBee I came on here after a few months off to read everyone’s stories in this awful time and so sad to read your stories.
We’re the same. Long story short I was on IVF waiting list, long protocol (cancelled mid way due to lack of follicles) 3 cycles went to 1 cycle. Told the only way is ED. Found an ED, the EDs baby son got unwell with a virus and now severely brain damaged. Found another ED and the hospital are now faced with this pandemic so highly doubt this will go ahead now. Haven’t heard anything to confirm but like pp said they won’t have the funds for this anymore 😢 Gutted and going to have to find money for private somewhere but job security is uncertain too. Awful 😢
Hope you all stay safe and something good comes out of this al 💙 xox

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »