Coronavirus - egg transfer or freeze WWYD?

(32 Posts)
MrBean2 Wed 18-Mar-20 12:11:01

Firstly I'm very sorry to everyone who has had cycles stopped i realise I'm relatively lucky

I am having an egg collection tomorrow at a clinic who, assuming the embryos develop, are currently letting you choose between freezing and transfer.
In the circumstances I can’t decide what to do for the best.

Ive read the advice but am still confused. I don’t want to delay due to my age (42/low reserve/past miscarriages etc) and the fact that we don’t know how long this virus could be around. Equally I don’t want to unduly risk miscarriage or issues with development etc

This worry could be irrelevant but I’m being positive that we will get some quality embryos and nothing else will happen between now and transfer

What would everyone else do in the circumstances?

OP’s posts: |
RedPandaFluff Thu 02-Apr-20 20:35:53

Ahhh @MrBean2 I'm so sorry to read that. I know the feeling well and it's tough to bounce back. I guess the best thing to do is use this time, where you can't do anything, to let your hormones get back to normal and weigh up how you feel and what you want to do next.

@SpyroC I'm crossing my fingers and toes for you!

MrBean2 Thu 02-Apr-20 18:51:48

Thanks @SpyroC when do you test? Let me know how it goes, I will keep my fingers crossed that it works for you

OP’s posts: |
SpyroC Thu 02-Apr-20 17:49:04

I'm so sorry to hear that @MrBean2. Take care of yourself this evening. It's such a crap time to get a bfn as the next steps are so unclear during this c19 nightmare. Try to enjoy all the things you've not been allowed for the past however many weeks. Take care x thanks

MrBean2 Thu 02-Apr-20 13:35:38

@RedPandaFluff Unfortunately it didn't work for me (blood test was negative). I sort of knew already as I have been having very bad period pains.
Due to my age / the fact our clinic is closing / the horrid emotional rollercoaster and costs involved I'm not sure when / if we will try again
Thanks for your support though

OP’s posts: |
Papoy Sun 29-Mar-20 20:08:07

Good luck OP flowers

RedPandaFluff Fri 27-Mar-20 08:24:36

It's great that you both transferred a blast - although I know it's disappointing that you had none to freeze; it does add a little bit of pressure for this transfer.

Now the waiting game begins . . .

When do you both plan to test?

Advertisement

SpyroC Wed 25-Mar-20 13:53:08

@RedPandaFluff @MrBean2 my update is exactly the same. 1 day 5 blastocyst on board and the others were not strong enough to freeze. 🤞🏻

MrBean2 Wed 25-Mar-20 12:06:27

@RedPandaFluff quick update for you - we were able to transfer one blastocyst but unfortunately nothing to freeze. Fingers crossed this one sticks

OP’s posts: |
MrBean2 Mon 23-Mar-20 09:59:24

@RedPandaFluff will definitely let you know, thanks for the support x

OP’s posts: |
RedPandaFluff Mon 23-Mar-20 09:55:05

Good luck @MrBean2 and @SpyroC - will you let us know how you get on? thanks

MrBean2 Mon 23-Mar-20 09:42:44

@SpyroC so far though apparently today is the difficult time...

OP’s posts: |
SpyroC Mon 23-Mar-20 08:52:25

Thanks @MrBean2 . Are you still on track for tomorrow? X

MrBean2 Mon 23-Mar-20 08:39:48

@SpyroC good luck for today!

OP’s posts: |
MrBean2 Sat 21-Mar-20 21:32:49

@SpyroC If we have anything to transfer then we do will a fresh day 5 transfer. My clinic were pushing day 3 but we would rather wait. Let me know how you get on, I will keep everything crossed for you

OP’s posts: |
SpyroC Sat 21-Mar-20 09:27:54

Transfer is scheduled for Monday and as far as I know it's still going ahead, providing there is anything to transfer. At the moment I'm leaning towards proceed. Do you still have a choice? If so are you thinking to go ahead?

MrBean2 Sat 21-Mar-20 07:55:52

Thanks for the reply @ceibatree

Unfortunately only 2 eggs fertilised for me, I'm keeping my fingers crossed but am also being realistic that not many get as far as blastocyst

@SpyroC did you get to transfer or did you freeze?

OP’s posts: |
CeibaTree Fri 20-Mar-20 20:27:09

In your position (and age) I would go for it and take my chances with c-19. The pandemic could go on for a long time and I wouldn't want to wait as the months/years ticked by. But as you say the decision may be taken out of your hands. Good luck to you x

MrBean2 Thu 19-Mar-20 09:02:14

Hello thanks all for the honest replies. I think it could all be out of my hands. The clinic is in London so they could be in lockdown before I can transfer. I'm going to ask if they will be able to even do freezing if staff can't get in
I will find out later

OP’s posts: |
MuchTooTired Wed 18-Mar-20 22:17:43

I think if I was doing my round now I’d have the transfer but try to self isolate as much as I could. I’m very impatient and can’t imagine having gone through the round without having the transfer at the end.

SpyroC Wed 18-Mar-20 22:10:29

I had ec today and am in the same boat as you op. I started off 80% proceed now I'm 50:50. I think I'm going to try and not worry too much as 1) the choice could well be removed by the weekend-everything is changing so fast. 2) I might not even have anything to transfer. It's a really tricky decision made harder by not knowing when everything will be up and running again.

Seventyone72seventy3 Wed 18-Mar-20 20:13:37

I agree with EarlGreyT and would freeze. Sorry.

EarlGreyT Wed 18-Mar-20 20:09:12

I’m going to go against the grain here and I would freeze all.

I’m also impatient and like @RedPandaFluff found the endless waiting really hard so the emotional part of my brain would say to go ahead and transfer now, BUT the logical part of my brain would say to freeze all. I think Coronavirus is going to put all our lives on hold anyway, so I don’t think not delaying because you don’t want to have your life on hold anymore is going achieve that (although obviously the life on hold from Coronavirus is a different type of on hold from infertility related on hold).

You mention your age as a factor, but the success rate of your embryos if frozen is the same as if they were transferred now and if they’re frozen they’re not going to age with you. If you are considering your age as a factor more in terms of getting to the end of this cycle so you can have another one ASAP if it’s unsuccessful, I suspect that Coronavirus is likely to delay another cycle anyway as lots of clinics are stopping treatment/closing.

I hope this doesn’t sound insensitive, but I found pregnancy after IVF a real head fuck (I’ve had 9 cycles), I constantly worried about something going disastrously wrong and found the whole experience really stressful. I don’t think I would’ve coped very well with the added worry about being unwell with Coronavirus and the increased risk of miscarriage or premature birth associated with this on top of this.

GemmeFatale Wed 18-Mar-20 15:45:18

Not sure if they see the same stats in mild IVF but certainly worth asking the question

Good luck either way

MrBean2 Wed 18-Mar-20 14:29:20

Thanks everyone, it sounds like most people would go ahead (I was starting to think I would be mad to even think about it but we've been waiting so long I don't want to postpone my life any more)

@GemmeFatale I will definitely query that, I did mild ivf so not sure if that makes it less of an issue

OP’s posts: |
anniefrangipani Wed 18-Mar-20 13:53:53

My kid is an IVF baby - I honestly would not have delayed her or risked reducing my odds any further and would have plowed ahead regardless. But I only had two embryos on day 5, and after transferring the best quality embryo, the last one didn't make it to freeze.

Whatever you decide, I wish you the best possible outcome.

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in