Talk

Advanced search

SA results and improvements

(14 Posts)
Narwhal88 Thu 05-Mar-20 17:53:24

Hi all
My DH got his SA results this week and they are really not good. Just wondering if anyone had results like this and managed to improve them to a normal level or if IVF will be our only option. Got a couple of weeks till our first fertility appointment yet.

Count 2.1 million/ml
Total 17.9 million
Motility 45%
Progressive 12%
Morphology normal forms 2%

Thanks

Narwhal88 Sun 08-Mar-20 07:25:33

Bump

Aspoonfullofjam Sun 08-Mar-20 09:10:17

We had similar results and were advised IVF-ICSI was our only option. My DH went on a very strict regime (Proceive Max plus Ubiquinol plus omega 3’s) no caffeine no alcohol no dairy no processed foods no red meat lots of nuts oily fish leafy greens etc and it did improve his count but only up to around 6-8 million. So we still need IVF. I would recommend you go see a urologist just to make sure there’s nothing there they could fix (such as Varicoele) and I would recommend getting a DNA fragmentation test done so you’ve full information.

Narwhal88 Sun 08-Mar-20 12:19:07

Thanks @Aspoonfullofjam I thought that was probably going to be the case. Did your DH see a urologist? Hoping to go down NHS route first before we do anything private.

Aspoonfullofjam Sun 08-Mar-20 15:22:27

Yes we saw a urologist and had a Varicoele embolised 3 months ago. Waiting on the results now to see if it made any difference but we were again told with numbers around 2 million even if it ‘works’ it’s unlikely to be enough to conceive naturally.

Littlebb2020 Mon 09-Mar-20 14:40:38

His numbers aren’t terrible tbh and probably could improve through supplements. My oh was on well man and a high strength vitamin C (1000mg) and out of everything the motility improved. My ohs count was 3 million on his best !
They’ll probably recommend icsi and the fertilisation rates are normally a bit higher, good luck op I am now pregnant thanks to icsi so I hope that gives you hope x

Narwhal88 Tue 10-Mar-20 07:08:53

Thank you @Littlebb2020 that does give me hope. Wishing you a healthy pregnancy and baby thanks

Aspoonfullofjam Tue 10-Mar-20 10:54:36

I definitely think there’s plenty of hope. I just wouldn’t waste time on trying naturally as with those numbers it’ll have to be IVF ICSI and the younger you are doing it the better. Good luck.

AngelFairy Thu 12-Mar-20 20:14:13

I would agree. Even with ICSI it isn’t guaranteed.
We’ve had two very low fertilisation rates with 2/3 of our ICSI cycles and my dh’s last results were 45mil and 4% morphology.
The other cycle we had our ds.

iRawra Thu 12-Mar-20 20:28:54

Best of luck @Narwhal88. I've got DH on CoQ10, acetyl-L-Carnitine, omega 369 tabs, zinc, selenium, vitamin B complex and vitamin D as everything for us is great except morphology. Hoping we can conceive naturally but been trying for 15 months now, so hoping we can at least attempt IUI first.

Viletta Sun 15-Mar-20 15:55:44

Best urologist out there is Mr Ramsey, not cheap but might be worth it.

Narwhal88 Sun 15-Mar-20 18:26:46

@Viletta thanks, I found Dr Ramsey's website when I googled.

Going to wait for our fertility appointment next week and 2nd SA first. We don't have the money to be going private at this stage. I am 31 so we hopefully have some time to go NHS route first.

Narwhal88 Sun 15-Mar-20 18:29:07

Thanks @iRawra I've read that morphology isn't as important if the other numbers are good so you still have a good chance naturally! No harm in trying each month just in case is there?!

iRawra Sun 15-Mar-20 18:39:01

@Narwhal88 I read that too, so we are still trying each month. Plus, it's fun anyway ;)

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »