Talk

Advanced search

Poll - alcohol and ivf

(21 Posts)
twinkledag Fri 28-Feb-20 23:20:35

Did you and your husband give up alcohol before undertaking IVF?

justkeeprunning5 Fri 28-Feb-20 23:22:30

I did - I started treatment last September and can count on one hand the amount of alcohol I drank last year... this included 3 weddings & hen weekends. Was tough!

twinkledag Fri 28-Feb-20 23:27:36

How about your husband @justkeeprunning5?

Cailinnua Fri 28-Feb-20 23:29:29

We cut waaay back in the lead up to IVF. My husband gave up beer and only had the odd cider. I had an occasional glass of wine or g&t. Then I didn't have a drop for 9 months, so it was worth it.

twinkledag Fri 28-Feb-20 23:36:04

It's the eternal argument I have with my husband 🙄. He says he's fine as he sticks to his units, exercises, takes supplements, drinks green smoothies, doesn't smoke.

justkeeprunning5 Fri 28-Feb-20 23:40:53

He didn’t cut back that much but did eat healthier and is very sporty. We got 6 blasts. Should we need to go again I will insist he joins me in reducing drinking so everything is thrown at the situation, but didn’t want to go too OTT the first cycle.

DCICarolJordan Sat 29-Feb-20 02:13:31

I did on the basis it was costing so much money, I didn’t want to look back and wonder what I could have done differently if it didn’t work. My partner didn’t but our issues were all mine so I didn’t mind him drinking lightly.

kikisparks Sat 29-Feb-20 08:06:08

My husband is long term tee total anyway but I also gave it up 2 years ago after 1 year TTC.

itwasalovelydreamwhileitlasted Sat 29-Feb-20 09:13:23

Here's the thing - the best sperm sample my husband has ever given on egg collection day was the one 2 weeks after Xmas and he'd been drinking 4-5 bottles of wine in the weeks over Xmas and new year!

He's been doing a vegan / vegetarian healthy eating diet with no alcohol and our egg collection the other week his sample had dropped in quality!!

Wesstywoo Sat 29-Feb-20 09:40:18

No but DH and I aren't big drinkers TBH - finding it more difficult to cut done on caffeine and sugar!

Badgerismyname Sat 29-Feb-20 14:17:47

We did ivf a few years ago for mfi reasons (low motility) and doing it again now but I’m also now 40 and have low amh. We drink a lot less generally as we have a DS (our first cycle was successful) and our nights of going out are generally in the past but I’ve never asked DH to cut it out. I think he would be very put out if I did as he goes out so rarely and tbh I don’t know if I felt it would be to much avail. So long as he cut right down. Saying that, two weekends before EC he had a boys weekend away but doesn’t seem to have done any damage hmm

Badgerismyname Sat 29-Feb-20 14:18:17

Our sugar intake on the other hand is through the roof!

Badgerismyname Sat 29-Feb-20 14:21:14

I did have to go on at him though about taking the supplements. Said they have him tummy ache... sigh.

Just realised you asked about both of us. I cut down to one of two glasses of wine a week and obv nothing once started meds.

twinkledag Sat 29-Feb-20 22:16:29

Thanks everyone for answering! 😃

ArkAtEee Sat 29-Feb-20 22:24:07

Yes we both did. Gave up caffeine too and both were super-fit. Didn't get pregnant from the IVF but got pregnant naturally some months later.

Ijustlikefood Sat 29-Feb-20 22:45:09

Will be starting our first round this month and have asked the nurse this, she advised that for sperm it was what you were drinking 3 months ago that can effect quality of sample ... which was Xmas ... FFS

Bluewater1 Sat 29-Feb-20 22:48:51

Yes, no alcohol at all for 6 months prior

EL8888 Sun 01-Mar-20 10:14:04

We did and IVF didn’t work. In hindsight l would have made less sacrifices

worriedmama16 Sun 01-Mar-20 10:22:30

I still had a couple of glasses of wine most nights, right up to embryo transfer. Pregnant after first attempt.

KazzyFroggy Sun 01-Mar-20 15:12:59

Hi, we've both given up alcohol since November and I started the injections last week... don't know if it will help but you never know! 🤞Good luck to everyone!

maa1992 Sun 01-Mar-20 15:28:55

During the injections, no. I drank quite a fair bit to be honest (nothing extreme but I had a few nights out to take my mind off it)

Cycle of egg retrieval I didn't drink much, if any.

I had OHSS so I couldn't have a fresh transfer so we had to wait two months, during the frozen transfer I didn't drink. My cycle was unsuccessful.

2nd cycle I cut out all alcohol and opted for a Mediterranean diet and Accupuncture and it worked for me.

I got 18 healthy eggs, fertilised 12 and 5 lasted to blasto stage and i did drink during the initial ivf.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »