Talk

Advanced search

hydrosalpinx and ivf

(7 Posts)
ellie17 Mon 17-Feb-20 17:19:00

hi

I have hydrosalpinx and been advised we will need IVF to concieve. Yet they said having tubes taken out is my choice, very non-comittal. I read that if you leave a blocked tube it can affect ivf but then there could be side effects of removing the tubes? Anyone else had similar? TIA xx

itwasalovelydreamwhileitlasted Mon 17-Feb-20 18:38:24

My clinic (and most others I have spoken to) won't treat you with hydrosalpinx - because the fluid can be toxic to a developing embryo and can cause early miscarriage and so significantly reduces success rates. If you are prepared to put yourself through the trauma of IVF you want to give it the best possible chances especially if you only get one go at it or are paying privately

(I've had both tubes removed due to ruptured ectopics and have so far had no side effects)

AfterGlow87 Mon 17-Feb-20 20:20:42

I have a right sided hydrosalpinx - my consultant would prefer I try IVF as a first choice over surgery as I have had 2 major bowel operations in the past and the risk of perforation with a laparoscopy is high.

My IVF clinic and two others I’ve spoken to are in agreement - so they will in fact treat.

However if I was low risk I would get it clipped prior to IVF as it can reduce success by up to 50% according to the literature - something I frequently worry about. Time will tell, I may be forced to take the risk of surgery eventually

Needtotalkivf19 Mon 17-Feb-20 21:29:15

Good evening I also have hydrosalpinx in my only tube due to past surgery, I was told the only way I would conceive was to ivf. I did a lot of research and like you thought I would need this removing before starting treatment but was worried about complications. It make it worst I only have one ovary. I went to my clinic and they told me it was fine to start treatment and I still up now waiting to take me trigger. I’m still worried it may affect my chances but my clinic do not seem to worry so I’m just keeping my fingers crossed. I have been thinking if this cycle doesn’t work I may have it removed before trying again xx

jcurve Tue 18-Feb-20 07:11:52

The risk is that the IVF drugs will cause the hydrosalpinx to leak inflammatory fluid into the uterus. If this happens they will freeze your embryos & discuss either surgery or a FET with you. It happened to me.

TheArtfulScreamer1 Tue 18-Feb-20 16:25:45

I had a right hydrosalapinx and my consultant wanted it removed before commencing IVF as the fluid can be toxic to an embryo. I had it removed and then had IVF which was sucessful on the first round. I figured I wasn't getting pregnant anyway with the tube in situ so might aswell have it removed.

ellie17 Tue 18-Feb-20 18:23:52

aww thank you so much to you all. It sounds like perhaps having the tubes out is a good step first. thank you all xx

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »