Talk

Advanced search

Is it really just bad luck?

(3 Posts)
Holly147 Sat 15-Feb-20 16:54:07

I was due my fourth embryo transfer last week, but unfortunately the embryo didn't survive the thawing sad.

It's our first cycle, and the first three frozen embryos were all transferred successfully, but unfortunately none resulted in pregnancy. Due to OH's age, we're keen to get a move on with things so asked the consultant if it was worth us going for another cycle and mentioned the possibility of donor sperm. She said that as we get another cycle on the NHS we should just do the same again, and that it was just bad luck that none of our embryos had taken.

However I'm not sure that it is just bad luck - OH had to have surgical sperm retrieval and they couldn't find any when trying to do a needle extraction so had to remove tissue. They then managed to get a sample but said none of the sperm were motile, a few were twitching and the rest were completely immotile. Despite that, 11 eggs did fertilise and we had 8 embryos that survived PGD testing and made it to 5 days. Unfortunately 4 had the gene we were trying to avoid, so we were left with 4, all graded at 5BB (which I think is the minimum quality they will freeze embryos at). A previous consultant told us that the embryos were ok but not particularly good quality.

If it is just bad luck then obviously we would like to proceed with another cycle; however if there is another avenue we should be pursuing we want to do it now rather than waiting (it took over three years from referral to completing the first cycle, and we just don't have that much time any more if it's very unlikely to work).

Our clinic aren't very informative, so was just wondering if anyone had had more information from their clinic about likely success rates with lower quality embryos?

Thank you flowers

itwasalovelydreamwhileitlasted Sat 15-Feb-20 17:40:55

I agree with your clinic it's probably just "bad luck"

My clinic don't consider 5BB as minimum for freezing at all and they consider them "good quality" - its usually CC and below that most wont freeze at

I have an extract from a study which only showed around 8%-10% difference in success rate for a bb vs an aa so don't be discouraged what you got considering the sperm issues was pretty good!

For comparison I've done 4 egg collections - no issues with DH sperm quality - and never got that many blastocysts to day 5 (sperm quality takes over from day 3 so if there was an issue with his sperm you'd have expected to lose loads between day 3 and 5 - this is what friends with the same issues experienced - in fact most didn't get ANY blasts to day 5) the one round we did PGS we didn't get any true normal blastocyst just mosaic either

I would go again with DH sperm since you get one more cycle anyway - there is nothing to lose! Whilst you're prepping for that free cycle you could always enquire about donor sperm cycle at a private clinic and get on a waiting list

It's a big decision to go with donors - we won't truly know the mental health impact of all the children being born through donors yet

Holly147 Sun 16-Feb-20 16:05:26

Thank you @itwasalovelydreamwhileitlasted, that's reassuring. I didn't know that sperm quality took over from day 3. Hopefully we'll have better luck next time!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »