Talk

Advanced search

Exercise during stimming

(7 Posts)
Youngatheart00 Tue 11-Feb-20 14:59:56

Can I ask what people think is reasonable?

I put on so much weight during my last IVF cycle and prior surgeries that I haven’t been able to shift. Have really got back into exercise over the past couple of months and am feeling better physically and mentally even if the weight is proving stubborn.

I am between work projects at the moment so the IVF is the sole focus for the next 2 to 3 weeks. I would really like to continue some form of exercise but obviously don’t want to jeapordise the treatment and have heard scary things about ovarian tortion etc 😳.

Honest opinions from experience or a professional standpoint please - what is reasonable?

Youngatheart00 Tue 11-Feb-20 15:02:15

Also to add I have no problem resting after egg collection for a few days, last time I was so bloated anyway. And I’m doing a freeze-all.

itwasalovelydreamwhileitlasted Tue 11-Feb-20 15:16:28

If you feel up to it then definitely continue exercising - it's really only in the last few days which I got uncomfortable and sore (and I just had 7 eggs!) - I walk about 4 miles a day and also swim quite a bit - couldn't be arsed to do anything more strenuous

H1ghH0pes Tue 11-Feb-20 22:25:38

Hiya hope this helps.
Im on my 2nd cycle and I too out sooo much weight on during the first cycle. and now have started the stims again.... I put 12 pound on in the last 2 days and that's not through eating more. When I started my first cycle my Bmi was 33.... After the Weight gain of round 1 and now.. My Bmi is 40. When we started round 2 I was worried they'd say no... As the cut off bmi at my hosptial is 35 but my consultant was really understanding and said that because I have no other health conditions so long as I am staying as fit and healthy as I possibly can... There's a much bigger picture they look at than just a high bmi.... He said to keep active and eat healthy. Theres enough to worry about with all the drugs and egg collections etc without stressing over the numbers on the scales.

Sending you luck and baby dust.

Youngatheart00 Thu 13-Feb-20 19:50:11

Thank you both. My BMI is 26 currently (up from 22/23 18 months ago!) so ideally I’d like it a little lower, but it’s not high enough to interfere with treatment. Main reason for wanting to exercise is not to gain a lot of weight but more for the positive mental health effects and a bit of distraction. I think I’ll see how I go with light exercise during week 1 of stims but then aim to rest for week 2.

Pennylane22 Thu 13-Feb-20 21:49:02

I was told to avoid all exercise bar gentle walking and static stretches. I usually do Pilates but was told this could lead to tortion. Personally I would err on the side of caution. If you’re enjoying exercise maybe substitute whatever you usually do and when with a long walk.

Youngatheart00 Thu 13-Feb-20 22:17:48

Thanks @pennylane22.

Wishing the weather forecast was less miserable to make long walks more appealing!

I think much of the exercise stuff is wishful thinking anyway - last time I was only a few days into stims when I started to feel quite twingey and uncomfortable.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »