Talk

Advanced search

How long to abstain for?

(5 Posts)
Littlebb2020 Sun 02-Feb-20 14:47:44

Should be having egg collection this week maybe Wednesday Thursday or Friday.
How long should my oh abstain for?
He has had a release today lol, sorry don’t know how anyway else to word it. We are having icsi due to severe low count (2-3million)
So how long is best to get some good sperm? Dna wise

itwasalovelydreamwhileitlasted Sun 02-Feb-20 16:50:29

My clinic officially says no sex less than 2 days before but also no more than 4 days otherwise at risk of speed dna fragmentation - it's tricky as you can't go too long but at the same time it can't be too close - as if we don't have enough to stress about! 😬

Our general "rule" is usually the night of the trigger as that's 36 hours

MissHoney85 Sun 02-Feb-20 17:06:44

I think I read somewhere that if you're having ICSI due to MFI issues then ejaculating as close to EC as possible is best - won't make much difference if they are choosing from 2m or 1m but they might be of better quality as less likely to be fragmented 🤷 not sure if that's true but kind of makes sense in my head!

Littlebb2020 Sun 02-Feb-20 18:19:09

Thankyou both for your replies @itwasalovelydreamwhileitlasted I was thinking of telling oh to do it the day/night of trigger, think I will do that and @MissHoney85 yes I’ve read the same Thankyou for your reply! I know there’s more than enough but it’s my one nhs go so just want to do all we can X

SirChompsAlot Sun 02-Feb-20 21:03:57

Should be two days ideally, definitely don’t do it any closer to EC or you will risk reducing the count even further.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »