Talk

Advanced search

Still so many questions and wonders... :(

(5 Posts)
Dot457 Thu 30-Jan-20 14:19:19

Hi all.

I just have a couple of questions regarding IVF processes etc.

I was discussing with my OH this morning and it occurred to me that on our first round of IVF on the NHS, I started injections at no real significant time, basically I had a few cysts on my ovaries (This is not why we need IVF) so after numerous scans to confirm they had dissapeared I was allowed to start. Now on my 2nd round that I'm about to do with ABC IVF, I am due to start the 2nd day of my period (To ensure I am in full flow) I'm an over thinker and now I am confused as to why it's so different from the first cycle we had? Why do I start injections when I'm on a period this time but on the first cycle it was never mentioned?

Also, I've seen a lot of people starting another round after only a couple of months "break" of another cycle, I was told to make sure I have at least 3 "proper" periods before I can start another cycle. Albeit I've probably had about 4 now but as I'm so irregular, when I start the 2nd round it will be literally a year to the day of me starting my 1st round. I feel a bit like I've wasted time to be honest as I could have just cracked on after a couple of months if this was not the case?

Can anyone confirm if the above are facts etc...

Thanks for any replies! xx

itwasalovelydreamwhileitlasted Thu 30-Jan-20 15:38:48

I'm with Create which is ABCs more expensive sister clinic....

Injections do start on cycle day 2 with them
But that's because it's short protocol with no down reg - did you down reg with the NHS cycle?

In terms of having a break between cycle I only had to have one full period after the post egg collection bleed and then I could cycle again. And actually this time with Create I am doing natural modified IVF and I can cycle on consecutive months with no break

Dot457 Thu 30-Jan-20 15:58:58

Thanks for your reply @itwasalovelydreamwhileitlasted - I've been on mumsnet a while and still don't know what down reg means so I'm really sorry lol, I can confirm that I was on a short protocol with them, and I'm on a short protocol now with ABC too.

Thats quite interesting, I suppose natural IVF is less harmful with less hormones so thats probably why which is really good. Unfortunately we don't qualify for natural IVF so maybe thats why we were given the recommendation of having to wait a few months. Just feel like I've wasted so much time sad xxx

Maximoo06 Thu 30-Jan-20 19:32:04

I've had nhs & private rounds both short protocols, started injections on 2 nd day of cycle for both x

EarlGreyT Thu 30-Jan-20 21:30:04

@Dot457
If you’re on a short protocol, you don’t down reg, you just start stims at the start of your period.

All down reg means is giving you drugs to shut down your ovaries/natural cycle so that the clinic can control your cycle. You down reg on a long cycle protocol but not a short one.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »