Talk

Advanced search

Weight gain and IVF

(8 Posts)
Youngatheart00 Tue 28-Jan-20 17:41:28

Saw this mentioned in the midst of another thread but thought it warranted one if it’s own.

Anyone else struggling to shift weight gained during IVF? It’s just over 3 months since my last cycle, I’m preparing for another but I’m the heaviest I’ve been in my life despite trying to eat relatively well and going to the gym 3 or 4 times a week. I gained 5kg during my first round and haven’t lost any of it. Worried about going through it all again and gaining another 5 😫 which would then put me firmly in the overweight category

Crumpets124 Tue 28-Jan-20 17:59:19

Yes. I’ve put on a stone over the past year and it’s so hard to shift even though I’m eating healthily and cut out alcohol etc. I had put it down to ivf too but then a friend of mine did ivf and is still stick thin so I don’t know why I put on weight and she didn’t. Another friend is starting it soon and is very thin so it’ll be interesting to see if she puts any weight on. I’m very fed up of it.

melissa1215 Tue 28-Jan-20 18:49:55

I didn't gain any weight during IVF but my doctor did tell me weight gain could happen due to changes in hormones

Youngatheart00 Tue 28-Jan-20 22:16:17

Glad I’m not the only one. I suppose there was a small element of comfort eating after the cycle failed, but then a good healthy and active spell before and after Christmas but I can’t shift the very stubborn fat around my middle, since IVF I’ve completely lost my waist. Just another thing to knock my confidence along with infertility sad

EL8888 Wed 29-Jan-20 01:33:26

I have the exact same problem and l gained about 5kg. It is all tummy for me as well. The weight doesn’t seem to have gone on anywhere else e.g. bum, arms, legs etc. Another thing to add to the list of side effects that the clinic didn’t warn me about 🙄

duckhouse Wed 29-Jan-20 07:22:02

@EL8888 what kind of side effects ? Pls share.

I have also gained weight mainly around tummy over last ivf cycles. Not sure how i can lose it fast before next cycle. Also ladies how are you cleansing your body with all hormone injections and meds ?

Youngatheart00 Wed 29-Jan-20 08:40:33

@EL8888 it’s really tough isn’t it. And the irony is I can’t afford to buy a new wardrobe of clothes which flatter as I’m so broke from the IVF bills. So I’m trying my best to be as active as possible between now and when my next cycle starts in a couple of weeks. Last time during stims I practically lived in PJs whenever I could! Think I’ll have to go to Sainsbury’s, H&M, Primark etc and get some cheap dresses / long tops to wear over leggings for this cycle as none of my jeans fit without being very uncomfortable.

@duckhouse nothing in particular to cleanse, although my clinic did tell me to drink up to 3l of fluids a day

EL8888 Thu 30-Jan-20 03:40:59

@duckhouse apart from the weight gain then l got quite intense vaginal pain when l stopped the pessaries and bleeding vaginally constantly for 3 weeks straight after it failed

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »