Talk

Advanced search

NHS WALES - private IVF cycle effects on NHS??

(6 Posts)
Honey2819 Fri 17-Jan-20 11:50:07

Hi all,

I’m just wondering if anyone has been through the IVF process in Wales, specifically the UHW.

I have just been referred but the waiting list is 6 months. I’m not really willing to wait that long as it has been 18 months since my first GP app plus another few years on top trying.

What are the complications if I go private in the meantime while waiting for the NHS? Will I still be eligible for my 2 rounds if going private isn’t successful?

Any information would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks

itwasalovelydreamwhileitlasted Fri 17-Jan-20 13:12:28

I haven't been through the process in Wales specifically but every other NHS group I know deduct any private cycles from your NHS ones - so if you were entitled to 3 on the NHS and decided to have 1 private one then you'd only be eligible for 2 NHS

On the private clinic forms you have to input your NHS number so I don't know if NHS would find out if you decided not to tell them about having had a private cycle....

BUT you'd be starting from scratch if you lied and said you hadn't had any before and anything that the doctors had learned privately wouldn't be considered and then may jeopardise the success of your NHS one

Honey2819 Fri 17-Jan-20 13:23:00

Thanks for replying!

Well that’s what I thought but from speaking to a friend, she seems to think that it won’t.

Is there any difference between going private for IUI?

itwasalovelydreamwhileitlasted Fri 17-Jan-20 13:45:24

I don't think IUI counts - however the rate of success per round of IUI is much lower than IVF - I believe it can take up to 10 rounds of IUI to have the same chance of success as one cycle of IVF so you may find it's not financially worth your while x

ChocolateGateaux84 Fri 17-Jan-20 15:50:44

I was under WFI at the heath hospital for a long time.
In Wales your allowed to have 1 private cycle prior to starting your NHS tx and it doesn't affect your entitlement.

And of course the only way they know you've had any private treatment is if u tell them anyway
X

Honey2819 Fri 17-Jan-20 20:42:12

@ChocolateGateaux84 thanks for replying! How long ago were you at the heath? Have you explored any private clinics around South Wales? X

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »