Talk

Advanced search

Day 2 transfer

(5 Posts)
MissHoney85 Wed 15-Jan-20 20:27:04

I was wondering if anyone else had experience of a clinic that does transfers on Day 2 or Day 5 rather than Day 3 or Day 5? This is what my clinic does but Day 3 seems to be very much the norm. I'm sure they have their reasons, just curious! I had my Day 2 update on my eggs today but it seems pretty early to tell anything and a long time to wait until Day 5!

itwasalovelydreamwhileitlasted Wed 15-Jan-20 21:22:36

I had egg collection on Saturday and discussed with the clinic all the transfer day options. My clinic said day 2 transfers were very much the norm until a few years ago - it was the only transfer option available. The science being that many embryos do better in a natural uterine environment compared to an artificial laboratory one.

It was only when techniques and procedures moved on to be able to culture embryos to day 3 and then day 5 that these then became the standard as the science suggests that embryos which make day 5 are better quality and have a higher chance of being successful. And it helps the clinic then decide the best ones to transfer.

That being said many "cheaper" clinics don't have the experience/equipment to culture to day 5 so still only offer day 2

My clinic will do day 2 only if you've got maybe 1 embryo which is poor quality and they don't think it will make day 5 in the lab and risking ending up with nothing

MissHoney85 Wed 15-Jan-20 21:29:07

Interesting, thank you. My clinic does offer Day 5 too, which is what I will (hopefully) have on Saturday. Just seems weird that they do Day 2 as the earlier alternative where everyone else does Day 3. I would have thought Day 3 embryos would be easier to assess than Day 2 and allow them to make a more informed judgement about when to transfer. I guess maybe it just fits better with their schedule. I will ask them on Saturday!

itwasalovelydreamwhileitlasted Wed 15-Jan-20 21:41:47

The extra day to day 3 just gives the embryologist more information about which one to transfer as they don't tend to start grading them until day 3 so if you've got several embryos fertilised on day 1 better to do day 3 when clear differences in quality will be visible - if you only get the one or over a certain age I've read that day 2 is generally preferred over day 3

MissHoney85 Wed 15-Jan-20 22:00:25

Yes this is my understanding too, hence wondering why my clinic assesses embryos and decides whether to transfer on Day 2 rather than Day 3. I think they only do transfers on certain days of the week or something.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »