Talk

Advanced search

advice on which clinic

(6 Posts)
toto2019 Wed 15-Jan-20 15:09:34

Can anyone advise on best clinic for egg or embryo donation? I'm not familiar with the jargon on here, but know someone who has a child through serum in Athens. I'm on the older age range and wouldn't be looking at using my own eggs.

Oly4 Wed 15-Jan-20 15:10:25

Check the HFEA website for reports on each of the UK clinics, including success rates

EarlGreyT Wed 15-Jan-20 17:25:03

Are you with a partner or are there reasons you’d be using donor sperm? As that would determine whether or not you’d want to consider embryo donation.

I don’t think there is a “best clinic” as such. I think the first and most important thing to consider is whether you would want a completely anonymous donor who any child would never be able to find or would you want any child to potentially find the donor when they turn 18?

The HFEA only provides statistics on uk based clinics, so it is useful only if you’re intending to use a uk based clinic.

The other thing you don’t mention is how old you are? I only ask as different countries have different upper age limits for recipients of donated eggs so this may be relevant (or not) depending on your age.

toto2019 Thu 16-Jan-20 10:30:45

I am 44, looking at clinics abroad as the UK seems so much more expensive. My partners sperm could be used with egg donation.
Is there a place that is most popular just now with folk?

EarlGreyT Thu 16-Jan-20 19:11:20

If you’re planning to use your partners sperm, you’re going to want an egg donor not embryo adoption.

In many countries, egg donation is completely anonymous and any child(ren) born will never be able to find the donor. Is this something you’re comfortable with?

One other really important thing to consider is how the donors are selected/treated and whether it’s altruistic and done freely or whether there is an element of exploitation involved (as can often be the case in poorer countries where women are paid to donate their eggs).

In terms of cost of popular countries, Spain is about the same as the uk, Greece is slightly cheaper and the Czech Republic is cheapest. This only factors in the actual cost of the IVF and not travel convenience or expenses.

I’m not sure there is a place which is most popular just now with people. My personal opinion would be to have a consultation (via Skype/FaceTime) with a few clinics and get a feel for them and then take it from there in terms of where to visit.

Thessaloniki in Greece has 2 really good clinics (embryolab and new life) which are basically next door to each other so that might be a good starting point.

toto2019 Thu 16-Jan-20 22:07:18

Thanks

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »