Talk

Advanced search

How do they decide short or long protocol?

(10 Posts)
Hopein2020 Fri 10-Jan-20 09:39:04

1 failed cycle IVF long protocol where it wasn’t a discussion. Moved clinic and now short protocol no discussion.

I’ve tried google but it just tells you what the difference is between them but what I really want to know if why would you be put on short or long protocol? My previous clinic everyone was on long protocol - it’s just how they did it. New clinic seems to be a mix.

Does anyone know why they would say short / long?

Lauren83 Fri 10-Jan-20 11:42:56

There's no hard and fast rule and some times it's just doctors/clinics preference but sometimes short for low ovarian reserve, long for chance of overstimulation/pcos, or long for endometriosis to calm inflammation/suppress system, long is often used to sync egg sharers cycles too

NRW39 Fri 10-Jan-20 15:07:01

As @Lauren83 said, there is no hard and fast rule. My hospital use both.

I've had 4 cycles: 3 with Long Protocol and 1 with Short Protcol. Both with varying outcomes - 2 Failures and 2 miscarriages.

We tried the Short on the 3rd cycle as Docs attitude was; Why not! - Let's try something different and see if that changes anything...

I opted for Long Protocol with Cycle 4, something I didn't think I had a choice in, but luckily I did, because I really couldn't get on with the Short medication.

Cycle 5 starting this year.

Lauren83 Fri 10-Jan-20 15:34:41

I just did short once then moved to donor eggs, I actually have really low ovarian reserve plus stage 4 endometriosis but they decided on short

My son was a 5th time lucky cycle, good luck!

Hopein2020 Fri 10-Jan-20 15:54:09

Thanks all that’s interesting! We have male factor issues so I guess they probably decided to try short given Id had an unsuccessful long. I’m looking forward to it all being over a lot quicker!!

itwasalovelydreamwhileitlasted Fri 10-Jan-20 16:14:25

Mine was a conscious choice to have short and chose a clinic which only offers that option

After recurrent miscarriages and ectopics felt like I'd put body through enough - we also wanted to to cycle much quicker as we want to move on with our lives

Most clinics prefer long as means they are more in control - follicles tend to grow at an even pace whereas in short protocol you can get a couple that outgrow the others a bit too quick. You also produce more eggs (but the research suggests that you don't actually end up with any more blastocysts than if you had done a milder short protocol)

RyvitaBrevis Sat 11-Jan-20 23:51:03

At my clinic anyone who is thought to be a poor responder (by AMH or age) is given the short protocol. They had a flow chart on the wall showing short or long and the criteria which I read while having scans! I did short (low AMH, ovaries already a bit suppressed from endo treatment etc) and it was great.

GrumpyHoonMain Sat 11-Jan-20 23:57:21

Short protocol is a reduced protocol for when you have female factor problems with egg quality or too many / too few follicles. It’s also used if you have high blood pressure / blood clotting issues. The long (or longer) protocol tends to be the default considered if you are healthy as it gives the clinic the maximum control over stimulation.

Hopein2020 Sun 12-Jan-20 09:02:42

Thanks everyone. It seems to be the consensus that short it for low AMH / Ovarian reserve which isn’t the case for me but I guess as I didn’t get too many eggs last time ( I was on a very low dose of Gonal f and one of my ovaries didn’t get many) he might be erring on side of caution that maybe I’m a bad responder so he is doing short and upping the dose. Fingers crossed if helps.

seven201 Sun 12-Jan-20 15:47:23

I'm doing my first ivf and was told it would be short because of my PCO. I wasn't given the option.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »