Talk

Advanced search

After 2 misscarriages should I get tests before final frozen embryo transfer?

(16 Posts)
Florencehill Tue 31-Dec-19 00:33:09

Can anyone advise? I am 42, no children, and have had two misscarriages a year apart (the last being in November 2019). First was 8 weeks (but cobultant said foetus was size of 6 weeks) and the second about 5/6 weeks. The second pregnancy was with IVF.
I have one frozen embryo left. I am very pessimistic about the sucess of my next embryo transfer as I am convinced I will misscarry again. I know that testing for cause of misscarriage is only offered after 3rd misscarriage in row. My question is should I try to get tests done before trying the frozen embryo and what are my chances of getting these done? Or should I take my chance on this embryo knowing that if it fails I will have to pay for my eggs to be harvested again. My fertility levels are high as tested in October.

itwasalovelydreamwhileitlasted Tue 31-Dec-19 06:19:37

I wouldn't have tests at this point - it could take months to get them on the NHS or very expensive privately. Over 40 years of age I was told 70% of eggs/blastocysts are likely to be abnormal so risk of miscarriage is much much higher. I'd transfer the last embryo and see what happens. You don't want to delay Another cycle of IVF much longer - success rates for over 43 drops to like 2% at which point you have to consider whether it's worth continuing x

Persipan Tue 31-Dec-19 06:37:22

Miscarriage does sadly become more likely as we age - unfortunately by now, the significant majority of your eggs will be chromosomally abnormal. So, it may be 'one of those things', which I know doesn't help at all. That said, I had recurrent miscarriage testing via my clinic after two miscarriages (and recurrent failed cycles), and I don't recall it being desperately expensive in the grand scheme of things. Why not give your clinic a call and see what they think?

VenusStarr Tue 31-Dec-19 10:03:01

I'm sorry for your losses. At 42 you are eligible for recurrent miscarriage testing after 2 losses - I've had it and I'm 36. But it does take a long time, so depends how long you are willing to put things on hold for.

I'd have a chat with your clinic and see what they're thoughts are.

VenusStarr Tue 31-Dec-19 10:03:42

Their 🙄

Florencehill Tue 31-Dec-19 10:30:38

@Persipan and @itwasalovelydreamwhileitlasted thank you both for your replies.
I just went to my GP for advice. She said that she couldn't do a blood test for "sticky blood" (antiphospholipid antibodies) because there isn't a history of it in my family despite there being a history of autoimmune disorders. She told me that the treatment for that is aspirin anyway so I could just take one a day.
I think I will take a deep breath and try the last embryo. Its so sad, but the only consolation if it fails is qualifying for investigations as to why.

Florencehill Tue 31-Dec-19 10:37:01

@VenusStarr do you mind me asking how you got the tests done and was it on the NHS? Do you know what the tests were and were they blood tests or tests from pregnancy tissues? I wonder why my GP didn't offer me any. Perhaps it depends on where you live. I will certainly reserch that one. When you say a long time, can you be more specific please? I have to pay for my next round of IVF so want to make this last frozen embryo count.

itwasalovelydreamwhileitlasted Tue 31-Dec-19 10:56:21

I've had recurrent miscarriage testing - sticky blood, thyroid etc - to be honest I found the tests pretty useless - they don't test partners sperm for DNA fragmentation and aren't interested in progesterone levels early pregnancy or karyotyping or NK cells - you'd need to go private for all these anyway x

Florencehill Tue 31-Dec-19 11:20:11

@itwasalovelydreamwhileitlasted thanks. Good points there. I think I'm starting to realise that it's a very hard task to find out the cause of any misscarriage and expensive.

VenusStarr Tue 31-Dec-19 11:30:56

Hi @Florencehill, my fertility consultant referred us. The initial wait was 4 months but I chased for a cancellation. Had the same tests as @itwasalovelydreamwhileitlasted but they lost my test results 🙄 so waiting again. To be honest, I'm not sure the tests will show anything but it was really helpful to have an hour with the consultant and to understand more specifically what could have been the cause (both of mine were the same, mmc at 9 weeks but babies only grew to 5 weeks).

I have researched seeing Prof Quenby in Coventry who does the nk testing, that's about £500 but you need to not try for 2 months, so we're going in the Summer to give ourselves 6 months ttc with the clinic (haven't started any treatment yet despite being ttc for 2 years).

Our rmc is a Tommy's clinic and they do dna fragmentation but part of a trial so not specific for personal treatment, I haven't looked into how much it is though.

VenusStarr Tue 31-Dec-19 11:35:40

Ps, I asked the consultant about progesterone and he said until I'd had 4 mc they wouldn't give me that. I'm not convinced that is my issue though but it is frustrating. If I mc again, they will want to test the baby too.

Florencehill Tue 31-Dec-19 11:53:45

VenusStarr thanks for sharing all that. I have heard of Prof Quenby, probably from looking on Tommy's Website.
I also read that there is no clear evidence to suggest that progestetone makes any difference but that some clinics prescribe it anyway. I think what frustrates me is that I have a frozen embryo there and have no idea of its chromosomaly normal.
Sorry abour the hospital having lost your tests. That must have made you so angry. It's so hard to see people around you conciving and birthing without any hiccups... Im finding it hard to remain hopeful with all the odds against me at 42...43 in March. Then will be the task of finding a good private clinic. I don't the one I'm using now. Wishing you all the best.

Florencehill Tue 31-Dec-19 11:54:39

*I don't rate the one I'm using now.

Florencehill Tue 31-Dec-19 15:11:06

Embarrassinly I have just realised I am 41 not 42!!!grin A small slither of hope!

VenusStarr Tue 31-Dec-19 16:11:45

That made me smile @Florencehill 😊 that is a glimmer of hope. I hope you manage to find a clinic you feel happy with.

Wishing you the best x

Florencehill Fri 03-Jan-20 19:17:49

@VenusStarr thank you. I hope the frozen embryo works then I won't have to find one. X

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »