Talk

Advanced search

Currently on IVF injections....sore!

(4 Posts)
June36 Sat 28-Dec-19 09:29:45

Hi everyone,
I’m currently in IVF injections to shut down my ovaries and it’s very painful. I just thought if anyone wanted any support from a newbie who hates injections please feel free to share...

NRW39 Sat 28-Dec-19 22:05:39

Hi
I've had 4 cycles: 3 Long and 1 short protocol.

I've had many injections over the cycles, and the injection site does become sore. You inevitability go into the same injection site more than once without knowing, so that can start to cause some stomach tenderness over time.

Tenderness/soreness is ok, but the injections shouldn't be causing you any pain.

I used to grab as big a handful of my stomach as I could, and hold firmly- that would take the edge off a bit.

Try to relax and do the injections as swiftly as safely possible.

In terms of my ovaries, i did feel uncomfortable and heavy but that was only at the stimulation phase, but again no pain.

Perhaps you should mention to your hosiptal/ clinic at your next appointment.

I don't really have any other advice. Hopefully someone else will join the thread and give some tips to alleviate the soreness. I'm starting cycle 5 next year, so I'd be glad for a tip myself!! X

MissHoney85 Sat 28-Dec-19 22:18:32

I'm also on down regulation injections at the moment. I'm lucky that I don't have a problem with needles and don't really find it painful, but everyone is different! One thing I do to avoid soreness is alternate sides each day - I tick off the day on my IVF plan after each injection (which is quite satisfying in itself) and write an L or R to remind myself which side I did it.

UnicornPuff Sat 28-Dec-19 22:29:46

@june36 like @NRW39 said you need to 'pinch an inch' firmly and inject at a 90 degree angle straight in to the hilt of the needle. Firm gentle pressure (the needles are super sharp dont play darts) and then gently push on the plunger. Some are just more uncomfortable than others.
There is a Dec/jan IVF group where everyone is helpful and loads of knowledge.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »