Talk

Advanced search

1 or 2 embryos and success rates

(12 Posts)
Oceanblueeyes21 Mon 09-Dec-19 18:48:48

This post is not about whether I am allowed or should receive 2 embryos.

Recently I have been seeing more negative rather than positive IVF story outcomes. I am just not sure whether the negative outcomes (i.e. IVF not being successful) was with 1 or 2 embryos?

Does anyone have any experiences they can share with 2 embryos please?

I know I cannot decide how many I get until transfer day but I am praying for 2 as I really want a big family. Triplets would be my dream come true.

Persipan Mon 09-Dec-19 21:02:43

Triplets would be a very high risk situation, obstetrically speaking. I get that you want a big family, but I'm sure you also want to have a safe pregnancy and delivery with a happy outcome. But anyway.

I have had unsuccessful double transfers at day 2 and 3, and I've had single blastocyst transfers. I'm currently pregnant (with one baby) following a single day 5 transfer.

Overall, the odds of pretty much any cycle of IVF not working are unfortunately higher than the odds of success - so it's not surprising to me that you've seen more negative than positive outcomes.

The recommendation for single transfer comes about because double transfer doesn't greatly increase the odds of achieving a pregnancy, but does increase the risk of multiples. There is also some evidence to indicate that if you have two embryos of differing quality transferred together, this may actually reduce your overall chances of success. You may also have cumulatively greater chances of success having a single transfer and then a later FET if needed, versus a double transfer now. So, it may be worth factoring all that into your decision and taking it through with the clinic staff.

Best of luck!

Waterdropsdown Mon 09-Dec-19 21:34:22

Had 2 embryos transferred 3 times.
1. Fresh cycle no1 Bad quality (day 3), no pregnancy
2. Fresh cycle no2 Good quality (day 5 blasts top grade), pregnant with 1 (8 week scan all fine) then miscarriage
3. FET no1 Good quality (blasts day 5), twin pregnancy and b/g twin babies born at 37 weeks

I have no regrets about my choice. I would do the same again but I absolutely would not want triplets and I guess there is a very small chance of that happening with double transfer. I really cannot imagine how difficult it would be having triplets and don’t think that anyone could seriously want that given the risks to the babies and mother.

I found the twin pregnancy really really hard work. Friends who have had both singletons and twin pregnancy say the difference is huge.

Waterdropsdown Mon 09-Dec-19 21:41:30

And of course all the best for your treatment. It’s horrible and I hope it works out well for you.

twinkledag Mon 09-Dec-19 21:52:23

I've had 3 embryos transferred which ended in MC.

Double transfer which ended in BFN.

4 x SET BFNs.

Only one worked which was my FET back in 2013. SET.

GrumpyHoonMain Mon 09-Dec-19 21:57:53

All of my single embryo Transfers failed and the double worked resulting in a single Baby. My bf double transfer worked producing twins. The only person I know who got triplets thru IVF was a 21 year old girl who did a single transfer - apparently Unexpected multiples is only really a concern for the younger than 30s.

EL8888 Mon 09-Dec-19 22:58:50

We had a fear double transfer and it didn’t work. I’m from a family with lots of twins so l was open to the idea of twins

MayMiracle Mon 09-Dec-19 23:04:09

4 rounds of IVF, all double embryo (blast) transfer

Round 1, fresh - BFN
Round 2, FET - BFP (single baby)
Round 3, fresh - BFN
Round 4, FET - BFP (single baby)

Wishing you all the very best. I remember the uncertainty, and emotional turmoil so clearly. I truly hope you get your baby xx

EL8888 Mon 09-Dec-19 23:11:01

PS not sure where the word fear came from in my post!

fool11 Tue 10-Dec-19 07:07:21

Had DET last month day 5 (we only did 2 because of my age, i didn't want 2 if i'm honest , would never do 3 because of risk to mother and babies) pregnant with 1

itwasalovelydreamwhileitlasted Tue 10-Dec-19 07:19:15

FET 1 - single transfer BFN
FET 2 - double transfer 2 - ruptured ectopic
FET 3 - single transfer BFN

my clinic will only transfer 2 if embryos are of similar quality as the science is that the body will put its efforts into the weaker one and thereby jeopardising both transfers

But unless you PGS you won't know for certain that both are of a similar quality

CritterTamer Tue 10-Dec-19 07:35:32

Hi OP -Just something to think about - the reason clinics don't like transferring to embryos is that multiple pregnancies are dangerous. I had one single transfer which failed (medium quality blast) and then a double transfer of two top quality blasts (clinic recommended a single transfer but I was convinced it wouldn't work so insisted) which resulted in twins who are now almost 7 months old. That twin pregnancy ended at 34 weeks in a serious emergency that almost cost all three of us our lives, and we are only here to tell the tale because we happened to be staying overnight in hospital for something else.
We have two good quality frozen embryos which we will be using next year, but I would never have another double transfer - as my consultant said to me at my 20 week appointment, our bodies are designed to carry one baby, not two.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »