Talk

Advanced search

Natural IVF... thoughts?

(8 Posts)
Dot457 Mon 25-Nov-19 10:43:52

Hi all.

Hoping to have our second round of IVF in the coming months. Had our first round back in March. Obviously been weighing up options, quickly realised there is no right or wrong answer and it's just preference and whatever suits you as a couple or your own situation.

Whilst browsing at different clinics etc we came across "Natural IVF" in a Nutshell, from what I read it basically waits for your own body to choose when it's going to release an egg, and they catch that one egg and do the IVF that way.

While thats all good and well, I've literally had two proper periods since I had a miscarriage in March... I only have one ovary and have PCOS as well as Endo, so my periods are obviously never going to be regular.

What are peoples thoughts on this compared to IVF with injections? Has anyone ever done this method of IVF?

Thanks in advance for your comments!

physicskate Mon 25-Nov-19 15:56:38

You might not be a suitable candidate for natural ivf if you rarely ovulate in your own...

itwasalovelydreamwhileitlasted Mon 25-Nov-19 15:57:33

I've done two rounds of short protocol IVF with ICSI and it's shown that my egg quality is pretty poor - low fertilisation rates even with ICSI and then the two embryo we PGS tested on the second round - 1 came back complex abnormal and the other a mosaic

Whilst I transferred the mosaic yesterday I am already planning ahead and am going to ask to do a cycle of natural IVF in the new Year - my clinic is apparently a leader in it (create)

I really don't think my eggs respond well to stimming drugs. I got pregnant on my own between the two cycles - I ended In miscarriage and the other ectopic (I am high risk for both anyway)

I'm starting to think that our bodies know best - I'm only get 1 or 2 blasts per cycle and both times had to do a freeze all which makes it more expensive. I want to do a natural round - no ICSI or anything and allow my body to select the best quality egg that month and the sperm fight it out amongst themselves plus it's only £2.7k a go x

GrumpyHoonMain Mon 25-Nov-19 15:59:34

Natural ivf isn’t for pcos sufferers as we do respond to ivf meds (and can respond really well -many clinics relax upper age limits for pcos suffers for this reason). It’s for people with low egg reserve or who are at risk of ovarian failure which tends to be the opposite end of the spectrum to pcos.

Dot457 Tue 26-Nov-19 13:55:20

Thanks everyone! All comments sound logical and for my situation, will probably be best to not go for it. Thank you! x

eurochick Tue 26-Nov-19 14:11:02

As others have said if your ovulation is not regular you are probably not a good candidate unfortunately.

I had two cycles of natural Ivf and two cycles of mild ivf. I started a traditional cycle with downregging but had to stop as the drugs made me feel so awful. My ovulation was very regular - day 14 from one side and day 16 from the other. I can feel myself ovulate and knew this - it was confirmed by scans. I got a bfp on my first round but miscarried. I then had a live birth from my 4th round.

Oldandsad Wed 27-Nov-19 15:51:29

Adding to what was already said, natural cycles have higher cancellation rates due to ovulation taking ace before egg collection.

Oldandsad Wed 27-Nov-19 15:51:56

*taking place

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »