Talk

Advanced search

IVF Using partner sperm or Known donor sperm

(4 Posts)
LetMeIn321 Wed 20-Nov-19 21:23:59

Hello!
Can you please tell me, if you've had IVF either using your partners sperm, or a known donor sperm, how was the process? Did they freeze the sperm first or use it from fresh?
I have read that people have had sperm collection around the time of egg collection, however my clinic have advised if I use a known donor they need to freeze his sperm and it cannot be used for 3 months. Was this also your experience?
Thank you in advance

itwasalovelydreamwhileitlasted Wed 20-Nov-19 21:43:40

Using partners sperm it was used fresh on the day....not frozen? (Costs extra for that so no point)
If you're using donor then yeah I'd imagine they'd need it done in advance and frozen so that it's ready on the day of your collection as very small window for it to be thawed and used for fertilisation

GrumpyHoonMain Wed 20-Nov-19 21:47:29

Whether it’s a known donor or a partner it has to be fresh and he will usually be asked for it at the same time as the egg collection.

If it’s a donor from a sperm bank then you will be able to use frozen but bear in mind sometimes the entire sample will die when defrosted - it’s always more effective to go for fresh if possible.

Lauren83 Wed 20-Nov-19 22:02:20

Partner will usually be fresh although he will have standard HIV/HEP B+C screening max of 3 months before egg collection, known donor will be frozen as he will be processed a donor as per clinic and HFEA procedures and will have consultation/implication counselling, extra extensive screening and a quarantine period before you can use it, they will also do a test freeze/thaw as they do on donors to check how his sample thaws but usually there's minimal effect with the methods of freezing these days. Good luck

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »