Talk

Advanced search

Does progesterone work

(6 Posts)
Coria1 Mon 04-Nov-19 09:32:00

Hello ladies, this is my first post, feeling a million different emotions right now as I’ve never openly spoken about this not even to family but reading others stories on here has given me the strength to share my own.
I’m 40, been pregnant 4 times but sadly no baby, I’ve lost them all before I get to 8 weeks.
Had so many tests with NHS (who were great!) & found nothing wrong which I find so frustrating confused so we went to a fertility clinic, just as we were planning our first cycle we got pregnant naturally again! For anyone else this would be pure joy but we went into complete panic, our amazing clinic immediately put us on progesterone and low dose aspirin, I now take daily Fragmin injections, crinone gel, cyclogest and prednisolone, as well as all the vitamins etc. We are now 5.6 weeks and seem to be hanging in there, I have my first scan in 3 days & am petrified.
Has anyone out there had experience with these meds? Will they work? I really need some reassurance that it’s worked for just one person, hugs to you all x

EL8888 Mon 04-Nov-19 17:47:31

Not personally but my old manager did. She had always struggled to stay pregnant -she had never even got to 12 week before. But with the right meds at the IVF clinic (definitely included progesterone) she had a healthy daughter about 15 months ago.

Good luck with it all

MiMiMaguire Tue 05-Nov-19 00:39:39

I had 2 early miscarriages and when I got pregnant the 3rd time was put on progesterone and low dose aspirin for first 12 weeks and that pregnancy was a success. Best of Luck and congratulations

user1470132907 Tue 05-Nov-19 00:42:54

Seemed to me for me! Doc wouldn't prescribe so bought emerita progesterone cream off internet. Became pregnant that month and remained so, after 2 miscarriages and taking 6 months to fall pregnant each time. I monitored my cycle and had a luteal phase of 9 days without it.

GrumpyHoonMain Tue 05-Nov-19 00:45:01

If the cause of your miscarriages is truly unexplained then it’s probably the steroids that are making the difference (some clinics supplement them with lipid transfusions) and probably not the progesterone. In any case if you are on a RC miscarriage protocol at a fertility clinic you should stay on progesterone for at least 16 weeks or until your first nhs consultant appt (whichever is earlier). The nhs consultant will then decide how to continue your protocol.

Coria1 Fri 08-Nov-19 17:23:32

Thank you for all your messages ladies, this definitely gives me hope! We went for our early scan fully expecting not to be able to see much at just 6+3 but there it was a little beating heart! We just broke down in tears, it’s still early days but it seems the meds are working. Im still worried that I have hardly any pregnancy symptoms, apart from sore breasts and needing the loo a little more (would actually give anything to be feeling nauseous)
Anyway I really hope you are all well & thanks again for sharing your stories & advice grin x

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »