Talk

Advanced search

Sedation!

(14 Posts)
Youngatheart00 Fri 01-Nov-19 13:56:19

I have my IVF egg collection scheduled for Monday. I’m nervous about the sedation - I’ve only ever had general anaesthetics for procedures in the past. In fact, I have had a sedation, but it was a light one to keep me still during an MRI scan. I was awake and I felt fairly alert during that. I would honestly prefer to be knocked out completely. Any experiences / reassurances?

LillyLeaf Fri 01-Nov-19 14:02:58

Both times I've had a sedation and have been asleep, totally unaware and completely knocked out. It was actually quite nice.

Megasaur5keeper Fri 01-Nov-19 14:11:42

Same here- twice sedated, twice entirely out of it. Like a lovely nap. Apparently I was chatting though the second time.

shazzz1xx Fri 01-Nov-19 14:14:38

I’ve had 2 egg collections last year.. they say it doesn’t knock you out but it does i was asleep both times.. didn’t see hear or feel a thing.. honestly egg collection is nothing.. I’d rather that than a filling at the dentist lol xx

DaisyLeoni Fri 01-Nov-19 14:16:20

I had egg collection on Wednesday and was petrified about sedation but it really wasn't bad at all. I remember saying that I had a funny taste in my mouth and that's the last thing I remember. Apparently I was awake and talked the whole way through but I honestly dont remember a thing about the procedure at all, just finding myself back on the ward where my husband was waiting, then they gave me tea and biscuits. Good luck for monday, I hope it goes well!

Youngatheart00 Fri 01-Nov-19 14:30:09

Wow the talking thing freaks me out a bit!!!

DaisyLeoni Fri 01-Nov-19 14:58:27

I did worry a bit about what I had been saying but they reassured me I was fine, they said people tend to either be a sleeper or a talker, and I do tend to witter on quite a bit any way. My husband said when I got back I just talked about our dog for a minute then just seemed to come round, so I'm hoping I just talked about the dog for 20 minutes. I hope I haven't worried you, it wasn't scary at all in the end!

GrumpyHoonMain Fri 01-Nov-19 15:02:49

For me it works like a general anesthetic so I’m knocked out like a light, but there can be problems if you are very obese. The clinic should be able to give you more info

PipsM Fri 01-Nov-19 15:04:33

When I had mine I was really anxious about it but I cannot honestly remember a thing and it was all good. Good luck

Youngatheart00 Fri 01-Nov-19 16:04:29

Thanks all for the reassurance. Just like many things in the IVF process, I’ll take it as mind over matter!

I have had some very vivid dreams during this IVF process though so maybe I’ll be a talker 🤣

Viletta Fri 01-Nov-19 22:30:38

@Youngatheart00 I liked it! Makes you feel a bit high and happy! You won't feel a thing and you'll have your anesthesiologists by your side for reassurance. Good luck!

BlueLadybird Sat 02-Nov-19 13:09:42

I recall absolutely nothing of the sedation period! Remember it takes over a decade of training to become an anaesthetist. They know what they are doing.

Chirpychirpy3 Sat 02-Nov-19 13:11:23

I loved my sedation. Was like a good nap and I woke up feeling great. I didn’t feel a thing.

Youngatheart00 Tue 05-Nov-19 13:40:58

Just wanted to update - I had my sedation yesterday and it went fine. It was definitely a “two phase” - they gave me one dose to relax me (this just seemed to make me chatty!) and then wheeled me through to the theatre, before long I was out like a light and wasn’t aware of a thing until 45 mins later. Amazing!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »