Talk

Advanced search

IVF long protocol for a poor responder with endo - experiences please

(4 Posts)
Cariad82 Thu 03-Oct-19 21:08:13

I have an AMH of 14.7 and I am 37. I have had 3 ICSI cycles on a short protocol that have given 0, 2 and then 1 eggs. Embryos transferred twice, both ended in chemical pregnancies. Initially told we had unexplained infertility but last month I was finally diagnosed with stage 4 endometriosis plus adenomyosis. DH has no issues.

We bought a 3 cycle package which means I have to start my next cycle in the next month. After some (not particularly helpful) discussion with my clinic I have decided to try a long protocol with a 2 week down reg this time on the basis that long protocols can be beneficial for endo patients and I just want to give it a go given the short protocol hasn't worked well for us. We're also adding in letrozole, steroids, anti-coags and extra progesterone just for fun hmm

I was wondering if anyone with low AMH and over 35 with historically poor response to stims has had any success on long protocol? I'm just worried it's going to be a total disaster,

And does anyone know what happens if the down reg over suppresses your ovaries and so you don't respond to stims at all? Will it cause long term damage or will they return to normal function again not long after? I've been trying to google it but can't find the answer.

Thanks smile

itwasalovelydreamwhileitlasted Fri 04-Oct-19 07:29:59

I have done two short protocols at age 36 AMH was 12.9 I respond ok but the eggs aren't great quality and had 3 iffy quality failed transfers from first cycle and awaiting PGS results on 2 ok quality blasts from 2nd transfer

I am also thinking of trying long protocol as one third and final round (we re out of money so would need to take a loan out)

I was worried about switching ovaries off during down reg and then not coming back on and I have seen posts where that has happened to people but I think it's the exception rather than norm and the ovaries do eventually recover but means the cycle is cancelled and you have to wait weeks for them to get back to normal

BrotherForBear Fri 04-Oct-19 16:29:01

Hi Cariad82 I'm 35 with low AMH and stage 4 endometriosis and my hubby has low motility. We have been ttc for 4 years had a failed short protocol FET cycle last year so in April this year I started a long protocol 4 months of decapeptyl medication ti put me into a temporary menopause and then into a fresh cycle. We only ended up with one embryo which devastated me but after transferring that singleton we actually got our first ever BFP I'm now 8 weeks pregnant. Sending you all my love

Cariad82 Fri 04-Oct-19 17:59:20

Thank you both for replying to me.

I suppose I just kind of feel like we haven't got much to lose by doing a long protocol this time. There's a pretty good chance even if we did a short protocol we wouldn't get any eggs - this has already happened once and then the other two cycles I got one egg then 2 eggs. It seems a bit crazy to me to keep repeating a protocol that obviously doesn't work very well and not try something different. I am worried about my ovaries not recovering, but as long as they would recover after a month or two I'm ok with that. I'm just scared they'll permanently shut down but not sure if that's a thing. If the cycle was cancelled at least I'd know long protocol is a no no in future. I'd have an answer, which is something you don't seem to get much in IVF.

I wish you really good luck for your next cycle @itwasalovelydreamwhileitlasted, and @BrotherForBear congratulations! You must be incredibly happy. Hopefully that will be us soon x

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »