Talk

Advanced search

IVF

(9 Posts)
cake1987 Mon 30-Sep-19 19:27:45

Hiya,
I'm just about to start my IVF journey, having been on chlomid for the past year with no success. Previously I gave up alcohol, caffeine and sugar to try and help my fertility but not sure whether I should be doing that again for IVF and also whether I can bear to! What do you think?
x

physicskate Mon 30-Sep-19 20:06:52

I gave up sugar (most carbs actually), caffeine and alcohol. Many don't.

What's your diagnosis? Presumably some sort of ovulatory disorder?

Good luck!!!

cake1987 Tue 01-Oct-19 09:45:11

Thanks! Yeah PCOS, did you partner give up anything too?

physicskate Tue 01-Oct-19 11:21:54

He gave up alcohol. He mostly did as he was told diet-wise too. We shared dinners, so he had fairly high protein, low carb those meals, at least. But he's a chocolate junkie...

AliceAbsolum Tue 01-Oct-19 13:04:47

Everything in moderation, there is no medical guidance for giving up caffeine/alcohol / sugar.

Newmum2b78 Tue 01-Oct-19 13:16:20

I didn't cut anything out completely just reduced the amount. I had one proper coffee a day and one glass of wine ! Helped keep me relaxed through the journey ! We had one round and I'm currently 38 weeks.
I think you put more pressure on yourself worrying about what you are eating and drinking. It's better to be as relaxed as possible. Best of luck xx

Eggcellent29 Tue 01-Oct-19 13:45:35

My clinic advised me to give up caffeine and alcohol entirely once treatment had started, which I did.

Didn’t really think about sugar, but I don’t generally eat a lot of it anyway!

The way I see it, if you can’t give these things up for a few weeks how are you gonna cope for 9 months? It’s not as bad as you think and it gets easier as time goes by smile

cake1987 Tue 01-Oct-19 16:33:42

Oh ladies thank you so much for all your wise words! It's making me feel a whole heap less alone. Can I also ask, how long a round takes all in all? I'm wondering whether I'll have had a round by Christmas. Or whether it can take a while to get medication dosages right.

pumkinspicetime Tue 01-Oct-19 16:54:55

I gave up alcohol and kept coffee to a couple of cups a day. DH reduced alcohol.
That was it, I mainlined pasta.
DC arrived no issues.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »