Talk

Advanced search

Should we go ahead with this cycle or cancel and change clinic?

(10 Posts)
Steenac7 Sun 29-Sep-19 11:19:11

Hi all

I really need some advice. I am due to start down reg in two weeks to do a cycle with my clinic. Our first cycle failed - I responded badly even though my AMH etc came back good and they concluded they need to up my meds. We have male factor with low count and high DNA frag. The clinic said to try again. They don’t believe in DNA fragmentation as an issue. We’ve been to a Urologist who thinks that DH May have a varicole - won’t know until he has an ultrasound in a week.

A clinic nearby offers IMSI and embryoglue whereas ours doesn’t. I’m wondering should we forget about our current cycle (we haven’t paid anything yet) and move to the clinic who do IMSI and embryoglue as they can also up my meds but offer those extras. Issue is we may have to wait another month or more before starting and it’s Christmas soon plus we’ve taken a six month break already since our last failed round and feel like we waited too long to go again.

DH thinks that we just go with this round to ‘see what happens’ if I respond better or we get lucky with the sperm. He thinks I’m jumping ahead too much talking about other clinics and more advanced treatments but I feel like this round is a waste of time as even if I respond better we haven’t done anything different to address the sperm issues.

Any advice? My mind is a mess!

Youngatheart00 Sun 29-Sep-19 12:04:58

I don’t know much about the embryoglue and other technical things you’ve mentioned BUT what I do think is you should do what feels right. If you want a fresh start from this clinic - and can walk away without a big bill - I’d do it. It’s a bit like buying a house (but bigger!) sometimes you just get that feeling (or not).

RedPandaFluff Sun 29-Sep-19 12:26:24

Hi @Steenac7 - that's a tough decision but I think I'd change clinics, given you're not committed to paying anything yet. There are so many emotions involved with IVF and my own experiences have shown that instinct is a powerful and often accurate tool. You don't want to regret anything - it's tough enough if a cycle fails. Good luck 💐

physicskate Sun 29-Sep-19 13:47:16

I'd wait to see if there is a varicocele and if that could be treated!! Because even if you forward with ivf from that point, it could hugely help the sperm!! It would be at least three months from that procedure (if he does indeed have one and it's treated) to see if his quality has improved at all. I know it's more time, but it's a huge amount of money to rush into spending when there may be something that can be done to improve your odds!!!

First find out about the varicocele though...

itwasalovelydreamwhileitlasted Sun 29-Sep-19 13:49:19

Has your husband been taking supplements to combat the DNA Frag? He should be taking something with high oxidants - Proceive Max for men for at least 3 months before a cycle?

I'd change clinics if they don't consider his fragmentation an issue

JeNeBaguetteRien Sun 29-Sep-19 14:17:28

Well an IVF cycle comes with a financial and emotional investment so it's worth maximising your chances.
I would do nothing until the possible variocele has been investigated.
My old clinic also said they didn't believe in DNA fragmentation after DH had a sperm comet test done, I think places that don't keep up with latest research don't inspire confidence, for me anyway.

JeNeBaguetteRien Sun 29-Sep-19 14:21:48

Yes and as Lovely Dream says there are supplements that may help. DH saw Dr Ramsay who advised Condensyl. It has now changed its brand name.

Another thing is that I have low AMH and actually responded better to a lower dose of stims. Without knowing your response I don't know if that is something you'd look into.
Go with where you feel best. We have paid for consultations with several clinics as to be honest a few hundred pounds in the scheme of fertility treatment is worth it to have confidence in our choice.

Steenac7 Tue 08-Oct-19 12:16:53

Hi all I wanted to pop back on and say a huge Thank You!! To you all. You made me realize I wasn’t crazy so I told DH how I was feeling and he agreed to get an appointment with another more advanced clinic. We just had it today and they seem great. Far more proactive and suggesting all the things I’d read about on here that our old doctor basically dismissed! We’ve cancelled our impending cycle and going to go forward with the new clinic.

Thank you all again for taking the time to respond and give your advice. I really appreciate it flowers

Youngatheart00 Tue 08-Oct-19 16:04:27

Hey, that sounds great OP. Lovely to get an update too. Wishing you all the best with your new clinic.

itwasalovelydreamwhileitlasted Tue 08-Oct-19 18:43:52

Good news @Steenac7
It's always worth a second opinion - your investing a lot - emotionally physically as well as financially and you need to have confidence that your clinic is doing absolutely everything it can for you x

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »