Talk

Advanced search

IVF for sibling

(8 Posts)
BeHereNowx32 Sat 21-Sep-19 10:05:52

Hi!
We have a 6 month old baby, who was conceived by ICSI (our 4th transfer). I am more than happy with having one child smile but we do have 2 frozen embryos.

I was just curious as to when people went through ivf again after having a baby. I’m not in a rush, but also don’t want to be waiting years. We will need to pay for the storage of embryos.

Also, any tips on how to prepare for FET would be good. I won’t be putting everything as much pressure on this as I felt before. (Well, I’m saying that now. Probably be different when we start)

Thanks!

Ilovewillow Sat 21-Sep-19 10:16:48

Hi - we had our first daughter via IVF and then waited 5 yrs (not deliberately, life took over and we also tried naturally again). We then had FET using 2/3 embryos we had left - we were lucky enough to be successful and had a son. We did find the pressure was much less as we felt incredibly lucky to have one child after 8 yrs so a second was a bonus.

BeHereNowx32 Sat 21-Sep-19 13:15:15

@Ilovewillow that’s so lovely! Thanks for sharing xx

hoping2018 Sat 21-Sep-19 18:56:51

Hello. I’m in the same boat as you. 7 month old son on second ICSI cycle and 2 Frosties. I went to the clinic a couple of weeks ago and were planning to go again in January / so when he is 11 months old (wanted to have a try before going back to work). We went to the clinic so early as wanted to know when to stop breastfeeding etc. As my periods are already back regularly (despite breastfeeding!) they’ve said to do a natural FET and have asked me to do ovulation tests and then a progesterone blood test.

Have you thought about whether you’d do another fresh I’d the Frosties don’t work? I’ve got lot amh so keen to get on with the Frosties in case we need a fresh cycle...,, good luck!

twinkledag Sat 21-Sep-19 19:02:21

Started when DS was 2. Still trying 3 years later.

BeHereNowx32 Sat 21-Sep-19 19:34:14

@hoping2018 our situations are very similar! My period actually just came back today, and I think that’s what has got me thinking about it! Unfortunately, I stopped breastfeeding last month, due to my DD preferring bottles to breast as she was combi fed.
I wouldn’t do another fresh cycle. I went through 3 fresh (and 1 FET), and I don’t feel like I want to go back there! I don’t want to waste our 2 frozen embryos though.
I’m going to contact the fertility clinic this week to ask. Good luck to you too!

@twinkledag sorry to hear that. Infertility is so hard to go through. I will just try our frozen embryos, and then finish once they have been transferred. Wishing you all the best

SuzanneSays Sat 21-Sep-19 19:39:46

We weren’t lucky enough to have ‘extra’ eggs and after five years of trying for our dd weren’t even thinking about a second. Then I got pregnant naturally, but had a missed miscarriage and decided to use IVF when dd was about three to try for a sibling, but... I got pregnant again naturally and now have two gorgeous kids. Love the age gap (3.5 years) and so happy it all worked out (still a bit confused as to how we got pregnant naturally but hey ho).

Ginger1982 Sat 21-Sep-19 20:03:36

I'm now 36 and DS was born by ICSI in 2017. We had one 'spare' embryo and had it transferred in late 2018 only to get BFN. We then had a fresh 'freeze all' cycle earlier this year that produced one embryo that failed to survive the thaw. We're thinking of having one more shot next year and then calling it a day.

Good luck, whatever you decide!!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »