Talk

Advanced search

Egg collection - Sedation or General Anaesthetic?

(6 Posts)
Youngatheart00 Wed 21-Aug-19 22:49:08

Due to start our first NHS funded cycle next month. One thing that has disturbed me is that they’ve mentioned undertaking the egg collection under sedation.

This really scares me - I’d much prefer to be out cold. Does anyone know if I’ll be given the option to choose?

LillyLeaf Wed 21-Aug-19 23:00:56

I had sedation but was 'out of it' and asleep, no memory of it, felt nothing (it was lovely).

Youngatheart00 Wed 21-Aug-19 23:06:12

@LillyLeaf really? No pain? I just don’t want to be conscious at all. I’m terrified.

LillyLeaf Wed 21-Aug-19 23:12:56

I remember laying on the bed, drugs went into my hand, I had a sleep and woke up in another room with dp sat next to me. I went home then had another snooze. Even after I felt nothing, no pain. I've had a general before for something else but that felt like I had been knocked out for ages and I felt dazed and almost jet lagged for ages after, I would rather be sedated. You could ask to be heavily sedated.

Youngatheart00 Thu 22-Aug-19 08:21:42

Thank you. Nurses appt today so will be asking that question.

physicskate Thu 22-Aug-19 08:42:14

I too fell asleep. Very painful afterwards. Wish they'd given me the diclofenec they offered!! But most people are pretty much fine afterwards.

I went into a room, feet into stirrups. Then woke up in another room next to dh and was told how many eggs retrieved. I took another little nap and then we went home. Hot water bottle and paracetamol was my friend!! I do remember the speed humps being rather uncomfortable... that was far more memorable than the procedure itself.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »