Egg collection - Sedation or General Anaesthetic?

(6 Posts)
Youngatheart00 Wed 21-Aug-19 22:49:08

Due to start our first NHS funded cycle next month. One thing that has disturbed me is that they’ve mentioned undertaking the egg collection under sedation.

This really scares me - I’d much prefer to be out cold. Does anyone know if I’ll be given the option to choose?

OP’s posts: |
LillyLeaf Wed 21-Aug-19 23:00:56

I had sedation but was 'out of it' and asleep, no memory of it, felt nothing (it was lovely).

Youngatheart00 Wed 21-Aug-19 23:06:12

@LillyLeaf really? No pain? I just don’t want to be conscious at all. I’m terrified.

LillyLeaf Wed 21-Aug-19 23:12:56

I remember laying on the bed, drugs went into my hand, I had a sleep and woke up in another room with dp sat next to me. I went home then had another snooze. Even after I felt nothing, no pain. I've had a general before for something else but that felt like I had been knocked out for ages and I felt dazed and almost jet lagged for ages after, I would rather be sedated. You could ask to be heavily sedated.

Youngatheart00 Thu 22-Aug-19 08:21:42

Thank you. Nurses appt today so will be asking that question.

physicskate Thu 22-Aug-19 08:42:14

I too fell asleep. Very painful afterwards. Wish they'd given me the diclofenec they offered!! But most people are pretty much fine afterwards.

I went into a room, feet into stirrups. Then woke up in another room next to dh and was told how many eggs retrieved. I took another little nap and then we went home. Hot water bottle and paracetamol was my friend!! I do remember the speed humps being rather uncomfortable... that was far more memorable than the procedure itself.

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in