Talk

Advanced search

Clamydia effects on male fertility

(3 Posts)
RichardA2 Wed 14-Aug-19 20:24:15

Hi everyone, I was searching for advice online and couldn't find any dedicated forums for fertility discussion until I stumbled upon this one so hopefully someone will be able to give me some advice.

I am in my mid 30s and it's coming to the time that me and my girlfriend will be trying too conceive. The problem I have is that in my younger days I caught clamydia and had it for a significant period of time, I don't know exactly how long but I would estimate around 3 years.

It seems there is a fair amount of information online about the female complications but I can't find much for men, other than it can cause infertility if untreated for a period of time. In interested in how many cases this actually causes a problem as it's something that's always been playing on my mind and even more so as we move forward.

My understanding is that it can affect the tubes and quality of sperm. I've seen there are some products on the market that can test this but the NHS website advises against these due to their accuracy, the alternative to this is to see my GP and request a sperm test, however the guidance is that they won't refer you until you've been trying to conceive for a year without success so I can't go down this route until I tell my GP a fib. My fear of waiting to find out if there is a problem then it will time wasted which I could have been trying other methods of conception before it's too late for us.

Thanks in advance

ChocolateGateaux84 Mon 02-Sep-19 21:18:58

I would Google your local fertility clinic and get a semen analysis done privately. Costs around £80 - £100. Far better than waiting for nhs (wholl no doubt lose your sample and ask u to repeat it umpteen times anyway). or doing a home kit.

Then you know where u stand.

Sorry im afraid there is very little out there about the effects of chlamydia on male fertility. The full effects on female infertility are also only just being discovered. At first they believed it to cause fallopian tube damage. Now its also believed to cause chronic inflammation in the body which can cause recurrent miscarriage and implantation failure. But i don't know how this translates in the male anatomy.

Best of luck

RichardA2 Tue 03-Sep-19 07:19:53

Thank you, that's what I've been looking into. You're right there is very limited information from a male perspective, it sounds like tubes can also be damaged and sperm flow interrupted but also DNA fragmentation, unsure how common this is though

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »