Talk

Advanced search

Appendicitis to Peritonitis - Has anyone experienced infertility?

(4 Posts)
MCabello Tue 13-Aug-19 14:10:03

Hi,

This is my first post in this website. I never thought I would have to ask this, however after my sister in law got pregnant, it got me thinking about my fertility.

When I was around 13 years old, I discovered I was an asymptomatic patient when I was taken to A&E with an advanced appendicitis to the verge of a peritonitis. Once they took me to surgery, they had to clean my internal organs as some of them had been compromised, after that they told my mum that they weren't able to tell if/ how much it affected my fertility until I actually try to conceive.

I'm now 22, and in an stable relationship but we do not want children until later in life, so it is not an option to start trying now. Reason why the NSH won't help us, as we haven't tried to conceive for at least a year. However, We don't want to wait until I'm 30 to realise I can't have babies.

So I have scheduled an appointment at ultrasound-direct, for a fertility scan and blood test (Progesterone).

Has anyone been in my situation before? What questions should I ask during my scan? What other test should I carry out to make sure I'm fertile?

Thank you so much smile

physicskate Tue 13-Aug-19 19:40:00

I don't think those tests will tell you what you want to know. I think scarring is the possible issue, which is generally discovered with a laparoscopy. An hsg or hycosy can check if your tubes are open or filled with fluid, which can also be an issue.

Would freezing eggs be an idea?

andthentherewere Tue 13-Aug-19 19:55:47

Hi. I have had peritonitis due to crohns. The previous poster is correct, you need to see your GP and get a referral to a gynaecologist and discuss the issue. They would probably need to do a text where they inject dye into your Fallopian tubes to check their condition and then take it from there. Good luck!

MCabello Tue 13-Aug-19 20:45:58

Hi, thank you so much for your replies. I have found this hospital in Cambridge (near to where we live).

Does the price sounds about right?

Thanks xxx

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »