Talk

Advanced search

Ovulation & PCO advise

(3 Posts)
579kirsty Tue 13-Aug-19 12:38:25

Hi everyone.
I’ll try and keep this brief ... I came off the pill 18months ago and have struggled to get cycles back until about 4 months ago when I had a cycle followed by another 61 day cycle - expecting this one to be 32 day cycled based on possible ovulation dates.
Anyway - I recently had a scan where they checked by ovaries etc and the nurse asked where I was in my cycle - I said I’d ovulated .. I’d based this on having a number of positive ovulation tests and a rise in my bbt a few days later.
After the scan she showed me and said that she couldn’t see that I had ovulated (I may of but she couldn’t see any evidence and she should of been able to) she diagnosed me with PCO ( but not the full syndrome and I’m clear of cysts)

So my question is - how accurate are the test and bbt surge in detecting ovulation?

The nurse was unsure if I had but swayed more to that I hadn’t - which has left me totally confused because the tests and temp suggest otherwise. sad

Any advise would be appreciated

physicskate Tue 13-Aug-19 19:33:28

Pco is polycystic ovaries. It isn't a diagnosis but a sometimes normal variation in physiology... so not sure how one can be 'diagnosed' with pco without cysts because pco literally means polycystic ovaries (but is not the same as the endocrine disorder which often has this as a symptom).

One of the possible symptoms of polycystic ovarian syndrome is polycystic ovaries, but not all sufferers will present with pco.

A blood test is more reliable to check for ovulation than a single scan. For ovulation tracking cycles, they take a series of scans over a few days/ weeks to see how the dominant follicle (which is a cyst) develops. She couldn't see the corpus luteum, but this is sometimes difficult to detect.

Out of curiosity, have you had the cd2-5 blood tests for fsh and lh?

579kirsty Tue 13-Aug-19 21:58:36

@physicskate I’ve had blood tests but not during specific cycle days - I guess this should be the next thing to ask for. I’m waiting on my referral to a gynaecologist but sadly the nhs wait list is around 16 weeks.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »