Talk

Advanced search

Clomid - monitoring and progesterone

(8 Posts)
HelloBrass Mon 29-Jul-19 16:05:13

I have just been prescribed Clomid, and I have never actually wanted my cycle to start like I have this past week!

I've been told to call the clinic on CD1 to book a monitoring scan. It wasn't actually explained to me what the scan looks for, so could anyone fill me in?

The nurse also warned that they have capacity problems and might not actually be able to make an appointment for me. She told me it would be up to me to "risk it" and start the Clomid without any monitoring. I've been told I can only have 12 rounds in my entire lifetime and I felt she was discouraging me to go ahead without the scan.

I would be worried about "wasting" a couple of cycles if the dose isn't high enough, or there's the risk of overstimulation. What advice have you been given about this?

The first consultant also told me I would be given progesterone suppositories, as my levels are low and tend to drop too quickly after ovulation. However, when I mentioned this to the second doctor (who gave me the prescription), he was vague on this and just said I'd be told about that "later".

For those on progesterone, when was it given to you and on what stage in your cycle do you take it and for how long?

I don't really want to risk an unmonitored cycle, and if I did conceive I don't want to be at risk of miscarriage without the progesterone.

Thanks!

Anaesthetist83 Mon 29-Jul-19 16:38:45

I think it is worth having monitored cycles (scan and progesterone 7 days post ovulation). You want to know whether the clomid is making you ovulate, overstimulating you, or causing other effects such as a thinned endometrium. I had problems with it thinning my endometrium. I knew I was ovulating so ended up having scans later in my cycles to monitor my lining. Had I not done this, I would have been oblivious to the effects and continued “wasting time”. I then moved onto letrozole instead (and now IVF)

Progesterone suppositories - I took 200mg from day after ovulation until period. Not sure there is too much evidence to support this.

Unfortunately the oversubscription for scanning is frustrating. I actually skipped IUI for similar reasons, as it seemed like it would take forever to actually achieve cycles

HelloBrass Mon 29-Jul-19 18:02:53

Thanks @Anaesthetist83

I have pretty regular cycles at 29-33 days, but have now been told I have polycystic ovaries (but not the syndrome) and a hormone imbalance which means I don't always ovulate. I can usually pick up the surge with OPKs but I guess that doesn't mean I actually go on to ovulate. I don't really understand what any of this means.

How did you establish you were ovulating in order to move your scans on? How was the thinning of your lining discovered?

I'm definitely erring on wanting to be monitored. I even asked if I could arrange a private scan elsewhere and be guided by that, but the nurse said they would prefer it was all done in house. It's pretty horrendous to face more delays simply because they can't fit me in for a scan, when we've been trying for so long.

Did they give you the prescription for progesterone at your scan appointment?

Thanks for your help!

HelloBrass Mon 29-Jul-19 18:04:29

@Anaesthetist83 also, lots of luck with your IVF. Keeping everything crossed for you thanks

Anaesthetist83 Mon 29-Jul-19 18:51:05

Thanks.

My 21 day (not actually on day 21 as long cycles) were raised, indicating ovulation. I tracked my LH surge, and then learnt to recognise that I got ovulation pain. I asked if they could have a look at my lining later in cycle as it had been thin on the monitoring scans - and was aware this was a potential side effect of clomid. These scans also proved I’d ovated

JeNeBaguetteRien Mon 29-Jul-19 22:17:39

I was prescribed Clomid on the NHS with no monitoring at all.
I have spotting before my period, after 2 cycles of Clomid with spotting still occurring they upped the dosage, still spotted on higher dosage so they did a day 21 test. I paid for private scans to see if I was ovulating as the NHS wouldn't give me any scans.

I bought progesterone myself, stocked up when on holiday in Spain as it can be bought in a pharmacy there.

HelloBrass Tue 30-Jul-19 12:28:37

@Anaesthetist83 Were the day "21" tests part of your monitoring as standard? I'm now wondering if I should push for that too, if there's a question mark around me ovulating in the first place.

Thanks @JeNeBaguetteRien Did they explain why no monitoring? How was your experience of Clomid generally? It's a shame you had to source so much for yourself.

Anaesthetist83 Tue 30-Jul-19 12:39:18

Yes - everyone was offered the progesterone bloods as standard and then ultrasound was recommended for 1st cycle to establish effect and then optional

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »