Talk

Advanced search

6 week scan - no foetal pole

(14 Posts)
Littlelot Wed 17-Jul-19 14:39:42

I posted last week as I was spotting and had some really helpful responses. I’d got the dates wrong (this whole process has really scrambled my brain) and my scan today was 6+2. The scan was inconclusive, but the yolk sack was the right size shape etc but they couldn’t find the foetal pole. The sonographer said that this is in the realms of normal at this stage - the foetus could be hiding, the development could be a couple of days behind (said this happened sometimes with ivf)) but normal of the foetus may not be developing. I’ve now got to wait until 8 weeks for another scan to say whether it is a viable pregnancy.

I’m trying to be positive as it could all be completely fine but not being able to see the foetal pole seems quite a big deal. I know I shouldn’t have but google seems to be full of posts about how people saw the heartbeat at 6 weeks. I just want to be out of limbo. It’s sooo hard and I think in my head I thought I’d know either way after today. Another 2 week wait.

Anyone else had this?

Persipan Wed 17-Jul-19 15:04:48

I'm sorry, that's so stressful. Take care, and I'll keep everything crossed for you.

WillowB Wed 17-Jul-19 16:57:37

I wrote a post similar to yours 4 years ago.
Had spotting so had a scan at the epu. Should have been 7+1 but only measuring at 6+3. Saw yolk sac but no fetal pole or heartbeat.
The sonographer said it wasn't always possible to detect one that early.
I was convinced that the outcome would be a miscarriage as I'd seen a heartbeat with my first baby at 6 weeks.
Had to wait 2 weeks until they'd scan again and it was agonising.
Anyway when I was scanned again at 8 weeks there he was heart beating and wriggling away. I hope it's a similar outcome for you.
Are you being scanned again at 8 weeks?

Littlelot Wed 17-Jul-19 18:12:40

@WillowB thank you for that. I’m trying to stay positive - it’s just so hard coming after 4 years of unexplained infertility. I thought IVF was going to be the tough bit! Yep I’m being rescanned at 8 weeks - I guess that will be a definite answer. Fingers crossed.

It’s good to hear positive stories though!

WillowB Wed 17-Jul-19 18:55:25

Stay positive - try to distract yourself however you can (I had to step away from google - I think people are more likely to post with negative stories)
This is exactly why a lot of places are reluctant to scan before 8 weeks. It's not bad news, just no news which leaves you in limbo.
Everything crossed for a positive update in 2 weeks time smile

AwkwardPaws27 Wed 17-Jul-19 19:01:52

I'm in a similar position - thought I was 6w1d (based on cervical mucus and when we DTD) but there was a gestational sac, something which looked like the beginnings of a yolk sac, and no fetal pole.
I've got another 9 days until my rescan. I felt really stupid as the private scan was supposed to put my mind at ease (I struggle with anxiety) but did the opposite!
I hope it all works out for you, and that I'm just rubbish at dates!

Littlelot Fri 26-Jul-19 09:10:35

@AwkwardPaws27 just wondering how you were holding up? When is your next scan?
I’m doing an okay job of trying to keep busy and feel surprisingly calm at the moment - maybe the heat makes it too much effort to worry about anything. I think I was most upset last week just to still not know! Now I just want to know either way.

I’m back in on Monday so not too long to wait now!

Fingers crossed for you 🤞 take care xx

AwkwardPaws27 Fri 26-Jul-19 09:37:36

I started bleeding lighting with lower back pain at the weekend, was scanned (NHS) on Monday. Still the same picture, a perfectly formed but empty sac. They are rescanning on Saturday (wouldn't do anything Monday as the sac was the right shape etc even though I got a positive pregnancy test nearly 4 weeks ago so there's no way I'm less than 7-8 weeks).
I feel like a walking tomb. I just want it to be over now. Just on and off light bleeding, they said I should go to work as it makes no difference if I miscarry at work or home but I'm constantly worried about it starting at work or while commuting.

Littlelot Fri 26-Jul-19 21:46:56

So sorry to hear that @AwkwardPaws27 especially having to wait another week. Are your work aware of what is happening - mine were so good and just told me to come in if I was able but if I needed to be at home that was also fine.

Take care of yourself and regardless of work/ doctors so what you need to get through this week. 💐

AwkwardPaws27 Fri 26-Jul-19 21:59:07

My line manager is aware (I'm worried I've overshared now blush but I needed her to know that it wasn't a straightforward miscarriage, I might need time off or to leave work suddenly if I start bleeding heavily). I don't really want to tell the group of senior men I support (I'm an EA) as I'm worried there will be unconscious bias that I'm not career focused...

WillowB Mon 29-Jul-19 22:11:36

Just wondered how you got on OP? x

Littlelot Tue 30-Jul-19 16:16:31

@WillowB
Scan confirmed missed miscarriage - so have stopped taking my medication and just waiting for nature to take its course. Am very emotional - feels like a whole new level of cruelty after infertility and ivf. But just need to take each day as it comes.

Thank you for thinking of me though x

Persipan Tue 30-Jul-19 16:20:50

I'm so sorry to hear that. Take care, look after yourself, and hugs if hugs are a thing you like.

WillowB Tue 30-Jul-19 16:42:17

Oh I'm so sorry to hear that. Life can be so cruel sometimes. Please look after yourself - there's always plenty of support on these boards if you need it thanks x

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »