over 40 IVF journey

(13 Posts)
twinkledag Wed 11-Sep-19 13:16:18

Hi @facevalue just seen on another thread you got your BFP, so pleased for you! Which clinic did you go with in the end?

twinkledag Thu 11-Jul-19 23:29:04

I couldn't find the post but if you search Colin Davis on here you may find it 😊

facevalue Thu 11-Jul-19 23:24:46

fingers crossed @twinkledag i hope it works for you guys . thanks for tagging I might look him up

OP’s posts: |
twinkledag Thu 11-Jul-19 09:16:00

4th attempt we ended up with 1 6-day blasto to PGS/PGD (can never remember which one is which!) and it was not suitable for transfer.

We then went for a last ditch attempt at ARGC - had the consultation but in the meantime I was recommended Colin Davis from the women on here so I went to see him too and we are in the process of getting all our ducks in a row and trying with him after the summer.

Worth a consultation with him? He's lovely.

I'll tag you on my post where he was recommended to me.

facevalue Thu 11-Jul-19 06:42:27

@twinkledag thank you for sharing . Do you mind me asking what happened with your 4th attempt ? did you see colin already or it's just the recommendation so far.

very helpful comment thank you

twinkledag Wed 10-Jul-19 22:33:18

Hi I have a similar story and journey to you.

4 rounds of ivf, one child, I miscarriage, 1 embryo tested and not suitable for transfer. Sex life ruined so low chance of natural conception.

I was recommended Colin Davis at Evewell - perhaps try him?

RedPandaFluff Wed 10-Jul-19 12:58:58

Hi @facevalue - you'd have a normal IVF cycle, then the resulting embryos would be PGS-tested (ie they examine a sample of cells from the embryos) and then the best embryo/embryos are transferred to you. The testing doesn't rule out all chromosomal abnormalities but it means you're not going to transfer any that definitely won't result in a successful pregnancy, so you're saving yourself the heartbreak of the TWW with embryos that didn't have a chance. My consultant told me that even in a young, healthy woman 50% of embryos are chromosomally abnormal and it's the most common cause of failed IVF and chemical pregnancies. It was the explanation I was given for my failed cycles/chemicals even though the embryos were graded "excellent" hatching blasts.

Having said that, there are lots of arguments against bothering with PGS testing - it's expensive, it's probably most useful when there is more than one embryo, and there are other (cheaper) options you might want to try first - aspirin, prednisone, clexane injections etc. Sadly there are so many reasons IVF can fail - it's often a case of trial and error, which is pretty gruelling when it means repeated cycles.

I think it would definitely be worth getting two or three consultants opinions - clinics often offer free consultations, and even if the clinics you're considering using don't do this, maybe it's worth paying a bit to get some proper medical advice and opinions on what your options might be.

Advertisement

facevalue Wed 10-Jul-19 12:37:48

@RedPandaFluff interesting .. do you mind if I ask you what you mean? did you have conventional ivf cycles then change to PGS? i don't know a lot i just assumed I would offered this test if needed in my case . we are paying privately so i don't see why that was not suggested.

what do you recommend as i said before apart from the one chemical pregnancy at 6 weeks i never had a miscarriage

RedPandaFluff Wed 10-Jul-19 12:12:00

Perfect embryos can still be chromosomally abnormal (sadly I know this from bitter experience - I'm just about to turn 40 and finally got my BFP after 4 cycles). I can understand that donor eggs aren't something you want to consider though, so maybe PGS/PGD testing for your next batch of embryos might be a sensible next step?

facevalue Wed 10-Jul-19 11:09:33

@physicskate ttc naturally is a task now and i won't even pretend that it is on track. i know lots of couples get put off sex because it's a task now while looking after a toddler and feeling crap it is not going to be my realistic plan.

@RedPandaFluff there was no issue with the embryo quality ( top grades everytime) . I don't think we need donor egg having had a healthy baby already 1/4 worked so far.. i am still hopeful

RedPandaFluff Wed 10-Jul-19 10:55:32

I'm wondering if there might be an egg quality issue, @facevalue? It's a big step, a hard one to take at that, but would you consider donor eggs?

physicskate Wed 10-Jul-19 10:19:28

Have you ttc naturally? Low amh means you don't respond well to the drugs, but is generally not a barrier to natural pregnancy.

Twin pregnancies are 'scary' not because of two babies at the end, but the increased likelihood of complications at every step!

facevalue Wed 10-Jul-19 09:18:42

I wanted to explain my situation. I just turned 40. low AMH. no other cause for low fertility.
1st: we had short protocol ivf - one embryo- BFN.
2nd: long protocol and a scratch one embryo- BFP and a healthy baby
3rd: long protocol- two embryos- BFN.
4th: long protocol- 3 embryos transferred - BFP chemical pregnancy.

I get low number of follicles each cycle and maximum eggs are 5 and max fertilise 3 with ICSI.

I really don't know why my dr advised ICSI because we have normal sperm count and shape etc!

I am keen to try again. Twin pregnancy isn't scary for us. We would love lots of kids if it happened naturally or with IVF.

I feel a little lost at the moment. My family advise me to try with a new clinic and new dr just for a fresh start.

I'm in london so i can in theory attend lots of clinics and I do like London bridge as a location as easy to get to and from on my way to work.

I heard some talk about mild IVF etc and about uterus blood flow scans- i'm not very sure what I'm asking

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in