Any Sperm Analysis experts out there?

(7 Posts)
FlapJackered Tue 09-Jul-19 18:05:37

I wonder if anyone can help?
My DH has just had his SA results back and Morphology was only 2% normal forms but he has a sperm count of 140million which is fairly high.
Does anyone know if this would mean we would likely need ICSI?
We have been trying for 18 months, I did get pregnant in January but had an MC at 8 weeks, so it is obviously possible but has taken this long it may not happen again. Thanks in advance for any help.

OP’s posts: |
Raven83 Tue 09-Jul-19 18:57:35

Hi @FlapJackered,

So sorry about your MC.

I've recently been asking similar questions (so I'm def not an SA expert!) along the same lines - my dh has sperm morphology of 0% (everything else within normal range), here's a link to my thread:

I'm sure others will be able to help you (and me!) out with that question even more. Have you seen GP yet or had a referral, anything like that?

itwasalovelydreamwhileitlasted Tue 09-Jul-19 18:57:39

Hi the normal level for morphology is 4% so it is a bit low however he has a good sperm count - the NHS told us because DH's count was good (150million so not much more than your DH) then they weren't too concerned about morphology being 2% (so same as yours)

However when we went for private IVF they advised we do ICSI as to them it was a concern and said it gave best chance of success

FlapJackered Tue 09-Jul-19 19:24:04

@Raven83 sorry to hear your DH's is low too. Thanks for the link to your thread there are some positive replies there which is encouraging!
My DH drinks a fair amount so this has given him the kick up the arse to cut down which is good. He is also a cyclist and really doesn't want to give up but we are going to ask the consultant and see what he says.

We went privately for a consultation and SA as we were told we wouldn't be eligible for nhs treatment because of the MC but then they came back to say we were, which is great! So we are waiting for an appointment for the nhs.
Nothing has come up as a problem yet on my side, I have had the day 3 and 21 tests and a scan.
How about you, have you had all the tests? What are your next steps?

Thanks @itwasalovelydreamwhileitlasted that sounds encouraging. Do you mind me asking if the low morphology was the reason for you needing IVF or where there other contributing factors?

OP’s posts: |
itwasalovelydreamwhileitlasted Tue 09-Jul-19 20:32:56

DH results were just one of a number of reasons really for moving on to IVF - recurrent miscarriages and then a ruptured ectopic last year where I had my left tube removed which obviously reduced my fertility. When the IVF clinic did DH SA tests they then recommended ICSI as they said NHS was wrong to say that his results whilst low weren't an issue. They said it's 4% for a reason and DH having 2% means could take twice as long to get pregnant. (We're not getting any younger!) They were also concerned that the morphology issue could be contributing to the miscarriages so better to screen them to help reduce the risk.

Raven83 Wed 10-Jul-19 10:10:19

@FlapJackered oh that's good that you are eligible for nhs treatment. From what I've read, there is a chance the results could be improved thorugh lifestyle changes - so cutting down on alcohol and stopping cycling for a while (my dh hates this idea but is prepared to do it)

I'm not sure where we're at tbh. I've had the 3 day test (no sign of the 21 day?!), my husband had his SA and we've been referred, also waiting for the HSG as well?

We were lucky enought to get tested earlier than normal (we're only on cycle 9 ttc now) as I lost an ovary to cancer 10 years ago and I have a lot of pain and scar tissue on one side - so I basically went to my gp 3 cycles in and demanded an HSG to check my tube wasn't damaged from surgery! The other tests were done as standard, which was when my husband's sa results came up.

Just waiting now really for fertility clinic appointment, trying to tweak our diet so it's got more protein and good fats in, feeding my husband lots of vitamins!

DizzyMerry Wed 10-Jul-19 12:10:29

Sorry about your mc FlapJackered flowers

My DH had 0% morphology. It did jump to 2% but then back to 0%. We had a private consultation and were advised IMSI was the best option for us. The Consultant said using this procedure would allow them to select the best looking sperm.

We already had a DD so weighing all things up decided not to go through with the IVF. We just kept trying and did eventually conceive naturally but it took 3 years.

It’s great that the NHS have offered you the treatment. I wish you all the luck in your journey.

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in