What is a chemical pregnancy

(4 Posts)
smarty14 Wed 26-Jun-19 21:18:01

Hi all,

A bit of background. I am under the hospital starting my journey on our fertility issues.

I have irregular periods, and when they do come they can be long.

I last had a period in april which was pretty "normal". Then didn't have one until a couple of wks ago.

Now a bit TMI, it started of a bit brownish which i thought was ok cos I hadn't had a period for so long etc.
Then a proper period came for a wk after a week i had some really bad bleeding super heavy and clots (do have clots sometimes in other periods) but these clots were friggin massive and sometimes 2/3 at a time.
And when i say massive at one point one was the size of a £5 note roughly!!!

I flooded 3 times! I then started wearing sanitary towels that a woman after labour would probably wear! And i was changing nearly every hour. I'd be walking and could feel everything

I was quite ill with it too, think i lost so much blood i was totally drained! (Nearly fainted on the train!)

I could only get a phone call appt with a doctor who prescribed me tablets to stop the period

I didn't take a pregnancy test as my periods are irregular i hate to make myself sad about it so rather not take a test.

Thanks if you got this far! Xx

OP’s posts: |
Persipan Wed 26-Jun-19 22:06:24

So, when people talk about a 'chemical pregnancy' what that basically means is a miscarriage that happens so early on that the pregnancy could be detected 'chemically' (by a blood test or home pregnancy test) but not 'clinically' (because it's too early for a scan to show anything yet).

Sorry you've had such a tough time - that sounds like a really difficult experience.

smarty14 Wed 26-Jun-19 22:55:46

@Persipan thanks !! Xx

OP’s posts: |
itwasalovelydreamwhileitlasted Thu 27-Jun-19 13:53:50

Same as PP except I have had a couple and would say the bleeding hasn't been what you described more like a heavy period

In a chemical pregnancy you tend to get a faint positive for a couple of days and then start bleeding - hcg levels don't get much above about 50

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in