Talk

Advanced search

What is a chemical pregnancy

(4 Posts)
smarty14 Wed 26-Jun-19 21:18:01

Hi all,

A bit of background. I am under the hospital starting my journey on our fertility issues.

I have irregular periods, and when they do come they can be long.

I last had a period in april which was pretty "normal". Then didn't have one until a couple of wks ago.

Now a bit TMI, it started of a bit brownish which i thought was ok cos I hadn't had a period for so long etc.
Then a proper period came for a wk after a week i had some really bad bleeding super heavy and clots (do have clots sometimes in other periods) but these clots were friggin massive and sometimes 2/3 at a time.
And when i say massive at one point one was the size of a £5 note roughly!!!

I flooded 3 times! I then started wearing sanitary towels that a woman after labour would probably wear! And i was changing nearly every hour. I'd be walking and could feel everything

I was quite ill with it too, think i lost so much blood i was totally drained! (Nearly fainted on the train!)

I could only get a phone call appt with a doctor who prescribed me tablets to stop the period

I didn't take a pregnancy test as my periods are irregular i hate to make myself sad about it so rather not take a test.

Thanks if you got this far! Xx

Persipan Wed 26-Jun-19 22:06:24

So, when people talk about a 'chemical pregnancy' what that basically means is a miscarriage that happens so early on that the pregnancy could be detected 'chemically' (by a blood test or home pregnancy test) but not 'clinically' (because it's too early for a scan to show anything yet).

Sorry you've had such a tough time - that sounds like a really difficult experience.

smarty14 Wed 26-Jun-19 22:55:46

@Persipan thanks !! Xx

itwasalovelydreamwhileitlasted Thu 27-Jun-19 13:53:50

Same as PP except I have had a couple and would say the bleeding hasn't been what you described more like a heavy period

In a chemical pregnancy you tend to get a faint positive for a couple of days and then start bleeding - hcg levels don't get much above about 50

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »