Talk

Advanced search

Does Clomid increase the chances of a 'bad' egg being fertilised?

(2 Posts)
Samosaurus Thu 20-Jun-19 20:51:56

After trying ttc number 2 naturally for 18 months (including a miscarriage @ 9 weeks after 8 months of trying) I was given Clomid to take by my consultant. I am 41 so I know not all my eggs will be good quality. I fell pregnant after the 1st round of Clomid, but found out yesterday that the baby's heartbeat had stopped a couple of days ago. I'd had a scan 2 weeks ago, at 7 weeks and the baby had had a strong heartbeat. I'll be having the tissue tested, but my consultant said as everything else seemed fine - blood flow etc, it was likely caused by chromosomal issues. So my question is, if Clomid forces ovulation, could it force ovulation of an abnormal egg which got fertilised? And if that is the case how can I be sure it wont happen again?

Persipan Fri 21-Jun-19 05:52:52

At 41, statistically speaking, I'm afraid the large majority of your eggs are chromosomally abnormal. I'm not sure if the exact mechanism by which clomid works, so you should absolutely have this conversation with your doctors, but it seems unlikely to me that any form of ovulation induction could distinguish between 'good' and 'bad' eggs.

The option that would probably come closest to what you're describing would probably be IVF with PGS testing - so, retrieving and fertilising as many eggs as possible, biopsying and freezing the embryos, and then transferring only those that were chromosomally normal. But, that's a) ferociously expensive and b) your age makes it less likely that a large number of eggs would be retrieved, and more likely that they would be abnormal - so, you could go through all that and not have any PGS normal embryos to transfer. So, it's quite an extreme option and not necessarily a magic bullet.

I'm really sorry for your losses - take care, and best of luck.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »