Talk

Advanced search

Anyone used tamoxifen?

(8 Posts)
seven201 Mon 10-Jun-19 20:54:33

Hello. I'm on my second cycle of clomid but went for a tracking scan today that showed the clomid is thinking my womb lining too much. Dr has prescribed tamoxifen instead for next cycle, which is mainly a breast cancer treatment I believe. I can't find much info about it in google. Has anyone used it for ttc? To complicate matters I have one blocked tube, so I'm at risk of an ectopic until I can have the op to try and unblock it.

Pinktruffle Mon 10-Jun-19 21:38:04

Tamoxifen is more widely known as Letrozole and myself and a couple of others on the board are on it. Check out the Clomid 2019 thread and also there is a Letrozole thread posted a few days ago

seven201 Tue 11-Jun-19 08:11:58

@Pinktruffle oh thanks, I didn't know it was the same thing! I'm on the clomid one already smile

FlipKat Tue 11-Jun-19 12:56:34

Hiya, although letrozole and tamoxifen are both used as breast cancer drugs and both oppose oestrogen action, they are very much different medications and work through different mechanisms.

I was on clomid for 3 months but similar to you there was an issue with my lining so they switched me to tamoxifen. I was on a low dose of tamoxifen (20mg) and had no side effects or problems on it. They monitored with scans and blood tests which indicated I was ovulating on it but I didn't fall pregnant after 3 months so stopped it. I am now onto IVF unfortunately.

seven201 Tue 11-Jun-19 17:43:02

Thanks @FlipKat, that's useful to know. My starting dose is 40mg. I'm slightly concerned that's too high now as my first cycle for clomid was 100mg and that was too high as I produced 3 or 4 eggs (going from 21 day blood test). My doctor seems to love prescribing me high doses of things! I'm hopefully going to have a tracking scan for the first cycle so will find out then I guess. Sorry that it didn't work for you.

seven201 Tue 11-Jun-19 17:43:38

And good luck with the ivf

uberbarrensclub Thu 13-Jun-19 22:49:07

I had Tamoxifen at 40mg for ovulation induction, I have PCOS and ovaries didn't go off like rockets so the dose was fine. Tamoxifen used to be used quite commonly if clomid thinned the lining, though letrozole (Femara) is now much more common for ovulation induction. Good luck!

Maranello4 Sun 16-Jun-19 15:50:14

Hi there! Yes I had Clomid for my DS and we've been TTC for no2. I initially had Clomid again and then Tamoxifen when we went down the private healthcare route. It helps to create a thicker lining and I found it had less bloaty type side effects for me. Was there anything in particular you wanted to know?

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »