Talk

Advanced search

Egg collection and surgical Sperm retrieval

(11 Posts)
Sugarplummy84 Mon 03-Jun-19 17:17:07

Today I had egg collection with 19 eggs retrieved, 14 mature. My husband had surgical sperm retrieval and had some twitching sperm. We were told that this is all fine but I’m feeling really down and negative and want some positive stories sent my way if any of you had them. Thank you so much.

hoping2018 Mon 03-Jun-19 22:31:05

I had one cycle of ICSI with really poor results, second time they surgically removed the sperm and my 4 month old is next to me at present and we have two Frosties! Good luck!!!

Sugarplummy84 Tue 04-Jun-19 09:16:27

Thank you for your reply. The urologist told us that extracted sperm are too young to be motile and that they twitch typically rather than swim but when the the embryologist told us that they were twitching she sounded so gloomy and negative. Was this your experience with the sperm sample? Thank you

hoping2018 Tue 04-Jun-19 22:16:24

They didn’t even tell us! Sorry! But my husband had sperm hence ICSI the first time but then we found he had high dna fragmentation which is why we did SSR for cycle 2. Best of luck xx

Sugarplummy84 Wed 05-Jun-19 06:30:58

That’s the same reason my husband had it done too.

Sugarplummy84 Wed 05-Jun-19 06:31:26

Thank you for the luck x

Holly147 Fri 07-Jun-19 20:18:03

I had 17 eggs retrieved and the embryologist wasn't sure they would be able to fertilise them all as they looked at a slide of my partner's sample and there was only one live sperm. He had surgical sperm retrieval due to having a vasectomy years ago and at the time they told us they were only able to retrieve a small number of twitching sperm - the rest were completely immotile.

However the next day they called us to say they had taken more slides and found sufficient sperm, and 11 eggs had fertilised. 8 made it to day 6/7 (we're having PGD so the embryos have to mature for longer for genetic testing). We had ICSI, again due to the PGD. So you can still have a good result with twitching sperm!

Good luck, hope it goes well for you.

Sugarplummy84 Sat 08-Jun-19 07:09:54

Thank you so much for your replies. You’ve given me more hope x

twinkledag Sat 22-Jun-19 18:45:46

@hoping2018 - we may be having TESE with Ramsay. How much did it cost you?

hoping2018 Sun 23-Jun-19 15:06:12

Hey @twinkledag, I just checked and it was £1850 for us - not cheap! But I do think it’s what made the difference!

twinkledag Sun 23-Jun-19 19:07:06

Thank you @hoping2018 😊

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »