Talk

Advanced search

Heavy lifting after embryo transfer

(10 Posts)
abitlostandalwayshungry Sat 01-Jun-19 17:19:57

Hi, hoping for your stories and experiences again, answers are extremely appreciated.
After my embryo transfer I got the advice not to lift heavy - without any exact detail what weight would be considered heavy. I have been lifting our puppy around the house ever since (he is 8kg = 18 pound) and didn't think any of it. The other day I felt his weight in my back and wondered if he is too heavy, and asking me clinic they said o should've lift items heavier than 5kg, so nearly half his weight. Obviously I feel very guilty and am worried I have lowered my chances of the embryos implanting. On the other hand - mums who go through Ivf surely lift their older kids around if they have any? What's your take on this?

Avenueofcherryblossom Sat 01-Jun-19 17:31:41

Hi op, I didn’t get the advice to not lift heavy weights when I went through my first round of icsi. I was lifting weights of 25kg multiple times a day at work during my 2ww and my embryos didn’t implant. I really wished I hadn’t lifted those heavy weights, who knows, maybe that’s why they didn’t implant? When I had my second round I refused to lift weights that heavy at work and it was successful.

I would avoid lifting your puppy anymore if I was you but try not to feel guilty. There are so many factors at work during ivf and icsi you could drive yourself mad trying to trying to be perfect.

Avenueofcherryblossom Sat 01-Jun-19 17:32:14

Oh, I forgot to wish you good luck. X

Teddybear45 Mon 03-Jun-19 10:45:56

During my 2 ww I was regularly lifting my 4 stone neice and 3 stone nephew, often at the same time. I still got my BFP.

Get your head out of Google. A lot of the old wive’s tales on there are absolute crap. If heavy lifting really did cause miscarriage then female bricklayer / construction workers in India wouldn’t be able to have kids. Women in Africa and Asia who carry two stone pots of water on their heads wouldn’t he able to have kids. Bodybuilders and mums of toddlers wouldn’t be able to have kids!!!

abitlostandalwayshungry Mon 03-Jun-19 11:55:28

That sounds so reassuring teddybear45 !
I wasn't sure if there is a difference between natural conception and ivf 2ww rules, I guessed the with ivf my body is already less up for pregnancy and felt therefor guilty for lifting against the clinics guidelines. But I love what you are saying about old wife's tales, female bodies are so strong and capable and I hate the old damsel in distress stereotype applied to our gender. 💪

HumpHumpWhale Mon 03-Jun-19 12:10:21

The reason you're not meant to lift heavy things when you are or might be pregnant is that you're more likely to pull a muscle, it's nothing to do with the foetus. There is no way lifting things can have an impact on whether implantation happens or not.

Teddybear45 Mon 03-Jun-19 12:26:10

Exactly. We are strong.

Buttonsbl Tue 20-Aug-19 22:30:34

Hi everyone I’m really struggling I have just had an embryo transfer and the following day I went shopping I used a basket because I didn’t need much then half way round it became to heavy I put it down and asked a staff member to carry it to the check out now I’m stressed 😩 out that I might of effected the embryo implanting does anyone have any advice please?

AliceAbsolum Tue 20-Aug-19 22:37:09

@HumpHumpWhale Excellent advice.

abitlostandalwayshungry Wed 21-Aug-19 12:54:37

@Buttonsbl please don't worry too much, i doubt that a full basket can weigh (more than 5kg?) enough to make a difference - also you recognized the possible risk and found a solution immediately - sounds to me you are doing everything in your power to help implantation. wishing you well!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »