Talk

Advanced search

IVF Criteria

(4 Posts)
Holly19 Fri 17-May-19 11:01:53

My husband and I had an appointment with our NHS consultant yesterday to discuss how we use our banked sperm post his chemo treatment.

I fell pregnant in late December just before my husband was diagnosed but sadly when I went for the 12 week scan the heartbeat had stopped and I had to have a D&C. When I was in for the D&C they took my BMI down as 31.1. I was 12 weeks pregnant and had had all the symptoms like sickness and only managing to stomach toast and crisps !!

At the appointment yesterday they said we are eligible for IVF funded by the NHS but because my BMI was over 30 when they last recorded it (day of D&c) I needed to come back in six months to evidence my bmi is under 30 for 6 months before we can start paperwork for funding.

What makes it worse is the consultant (who we know well) was blunt with us and basically said If I hadn’t have had the miscarriage they wouldn’t have past evidence on BMI and would have gone on current weight which is under 30.

I am so upset and so angry.

My husband and I have been to hell and back the last year. He has fought a very brave battle and won and I have been with him every step of the way. We desperately need something positive in our lives now. I did not chose to have a miscarriage but they are almost punishing me. It seems so unfair to use someone’s weight at 12 weeks pregnant as a true reflection of their BMI.

Is it worth appealing this? How would I even appeal? Where would I start? Or is this a losing battle and another blow that we are just going to have to accept??

Rspu3 Fri 17-May-19 11:11:01

That’s awful so sorry for your mc too op. Have they gave you a follow up appointment?. If you can go to a boots or pharmacy and weigh yourself if you are in the bmi criteria try ringing your clinic or gp back to send it over. It is so frustrating the waiting times on the nhs I really do understand x

Snowflakes1122 Fri 17-May-19 11:16:51

Surely you can appeal? You were pregnant at the time. You gain 2-5lbs in the first 3 months.

I know when I lost a baby at 13 weeks, I was heavier than my normal self.

I’m sorry for all the tough things you’ve been though recently. Glad to hear your dh is ok. flowers

hoping2018 Fri 17-May-19 22:18:09

I would definitely appeal - it seems compassion and common sense has gone out the window?! Do you keep any weight records yourself at home / like a weight app and could effectively provide evidence it was <30 before you were pregnant?

So sorry they’ve added this stress to an already hard time x

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »