Talk

Advanced search

Anyone with a similar experience?

(16 Posts)
Nataliexx Mon 15-Apr-19 15:07:50

Hello all,

I am new so please be kind!

My partner and I have not been actively trying for a baby, but we have not been protecting ourselves with the "if it happens it would be great" scenario. This started 5 years ago and we still haven't fallen pregnant.

I have some symptoms of PCOS. A seperate blood test showed I had high blood sugar (on the cusp of pre-diabetes) so I thought that would maybe link with PCOS and insulin resistance. On the back of that I asked for my hormones to be tested. I was convinced when I went to get the results today it they would be all over the place, but it turns out they are fine!

The doctor has suggested to try harder (i.e more frequent) and to track ovulation with tests. That is more easier said than done when you have irregular periods.

I have been referred to the Hospital for an ultra sound to see if I do have cysts on my ovaries.

Anyone been in this same boat? I have to admit I have carried the burden of not telling anyone that I have struggled to conceive, so to actually tell my doctor has been refreshing.

physicskate Mon 15-Apr-19 15:20:45

What was tested and what were you results?

The best thing you can do if you do have pcos is to have a bmi in the normal range.

Nataliexx Mon 15-Apr-19 15:25:24

I had a blood test to start with which tested my main organs etc and my blood sugar level.
The other test was to test my hormones, testosterone etc and all of those results came back normal.

My BMI is high. I don't know what my actual weight is but I know I am Obese. I know this doesn't help at all but I do struggle (like most) to lose weight.

physicskate Mon 15-Apr-19 15:41:19

What hormones (which specific ones - there are thousands)? What were the results?

Nataliexx Mon 15-Apr-19 16:27:21

If I am honest I have no idea. I told the doctor I had symptoms of PCOS so they did a blood test to test my levels and they just said they were normal 🤷

physicskate Mon 15-Apr-19 17:31:40

With pcos, it's not the 'levels' themselves, but the ratio between fsh (follicle stimulating hormone) and lh (lutenising hormone) that you need to look at. These need to be measured between cycle days2-5.

I low glycemic index (sort of carbs) diet can be a bit more effective in losing weight with pcos.

NBparis Mon 15-Apr-19 17:50:50

@nataliexx I had a lot of confusion about whether I had pcos as I have very irregular cycles but my hormone levels were apparently not showing pcos. Ovulation tests were very difficult for me as I had very long cycles and I found them expensive and unreliable, but I did use a device called Ovusense which worked to tell me without fail when I was ovulating. It is expensive but it was the only thing that worked for me and allowed me to predict my periods and time sex accurately. I didn't get pregnant sadly so it's not a miracle worker but maybe you could look into it if ovulation tests aren't working for you.

Nataliexx Mon 15-Apr-19 21:12:54

@physicskate I see. I assume they would have looked into it or asked for further testing if they thought I had PCOS.

I agree that Low GI is good for losing weight as well as low carb/keto. I manage to lose a bit and do really well but I find it very hard to stick to. Especially keto.

Nataliexx Mon 15-Apr-19 21:14:26

@NBparis Thank you for your advice. Did you ever take clomid or ovulation drugs? I've looked into Ovusense on your recommendation but as you said it is quite expensive. I might try the Ovulation tests first but I do think I will have difficulty with them 😣

NBparis Mon 15-Apr-19 21:20:12

@nataliexx I did try clomid and it didn't work for me. I either didn't respond at all or responded too much. The consultant at the time thought I had hypothalamic amenhorea because of my reaction but nothing else has suggested that since. I know the ovusense is very expensive. I didn't buy it lightly but I was at the end of my tether as no other method to determine ovulation was working for me and I was finding my long cycles so frustrating.

longtimelurkerfirsttimeposter Mon 15-Apr-19 21:23:33

Have a look at inofolic for PCOS.
I got pregnant after nearly 5 years within 3 months of taking that.
Currently pregnant with number 2, while taking it.

physicskate Mon 15-Apr-19 22:17:06

Not all gps are well-versed in pcos. Some are brilliant with women's health issues... others aren't. It's why many women have to push for testing and educate themselves to get answers and see multiple healthcare professionals to get answers.

For example: it takes on average 7 years to get an endometriosis diagnosis after first presenting to a doctor with symptoms!!! Ridiculous!!!

I'd be looking to ask the gp what the next step is. What are they going to look into next. Meanwhile, you'll need a bmi below 30 to access many nhs infertility treatments, but below 25 may make any treatments more effective.

Good luck.

Nataliexx Mon 15-Apr-19 22:43:26

@NBParis Thank you so much for the information and opening up.

Nataliexx Mon 15-Apr-19 22:44:57

@longtimslurkerfirsttimeposter

I have just had a look at this, thanks. It looks like the price isn't so bad, I have heard of Inositol before for fertility.

Nataliexx Mon 15-Apr-19 22:47:31

@physicskate Thanks for your reply. My next step is to have an Ultrasound scan to see if there are cysts on my ovaries.

I'm not sure I could ever be a 25BMI. I'd love to say I would but I could never imagine it. Having a look at IVF in my area too, you have to have a BMI under 30, which I think also maybe too far from my reach.

Nataliexx Tue 16-Apr-19 18:53:15

Bump x

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »