FET abroad - advice(13 Posts)
Hello! We've just started our FET journey with a clinic overseas but are struggling with the planning. Both DH and I have limited amount of annual leave so are trying to plan flights but it's proving difficult. I'd welcome advice and experience from those who've been through it.
I've just started my cycle and so am using estrogen hormone patches.
I have to do bloods and a scan here in the UK on day 15, then plan to fly out on day 18 and stay a week, return to UK day 25.
Does that sound realistic? And how many times in that week am I likely to need tests or scans?
I know I should be getting more info from the clinic but language is a barrier and they're loathe to commit to anything, just keep saying "we'll know more after you day 15 scan" - but I can't wait until then to book flights and accommodation!
Thanks for any advice
By FET do you mean frozen? Is it medicated? If so don’t book anything until after the scan. Downregulation can sometimes be extended.
I don't have experience of going abroad but I'm in the middle of FET and transfer has been delayed by at least a week due to my lining being too thin so they are right, you need to wait for the outcome of scans...
We had FET of our own embryos in Greece in January. Scans done in the UK with medication being Cyclogest and Progynova. Clinic gave us an exact transfer date. We went out there for a long weekend but could have easily just stayed one night
Agh!! Thanks all, though that wasn't what I wanted to hear!! Yes it's medicated frozen embryo transfer (should have been clearer, sorry!) Start off with estrogen patches and then I think I have to take progesterone after transfer.
The clinic are being as non-commital as possible, saying we can't yet know exactly, but had said the transfer should be around days 20-25 of the cycle.
It's just so difficult with work etc, and the cost of flights going up by the day. I had hoped allowing us a whole week would be sufficient but it looks like it may still be risky....
@Rumplestrumpet I sympathise - my transfer is likely to be Easter week so no chance of getting annual leave now! I'm also medicated and I didn't have any lining issues on my fresh round so this has come as a bit of a surprise. Best of luck! X
Rumple my clinic were very straight forward. I started my Progynova on day 2 of AF and then day 7 I had s scan. Sent results to my clinic who then told me what dose of Cyclogest to start and also told me my exact transfer date. They used my normal cycle length to calculate the date of transfer. We then went to the clinic on that date and had our transfer, they did a quick check of the lining and then it was all go.
Each FET is individual and each clinic has their own way of doing things. It will all depend on how your lining is doing. It sucks they wont give you an actual date but it will all depend on your lining. My clinic told me they like to keep it in sync with normal cycles.
1st fet - 4th attempt - was medicated
Contacted clinic day of period. Starting takin 2mg progynova - they told me when to increase to 6. Think was day 3/4. Had scan booked day 12 and saw triple lining and 1.1 and then booked flights for a week later
We flew in and out same day
Sadly that failed but the 2nd fet so 5th attempt in all - after having an era - which showed I needed longer /more hormones
Need to check how long I took for as was on holiday - then scanned day we got home and again saw triple later and thickness 1.1 and booked flights for 5 days later
Why do you need to stay a week after. Once had fet go home
And 15 days in cycle sounds late
I used ivi Madrid and my Spanish is crap but we had our own personal translater who we saw every time so got a good rapour with her
Don’t you have a translater?
You need to contact clinic and find out what is happening
It's not a private clinic we're using, it's the public hospital where we had our IVF treatment when we used to live in France - hence it's much less user friendly, but virtually freeze so can't complain!
I booked the whole week off work and was expecting to be out for a whole week because we were planning to book it all before the scan. But given advice in here I think we'll have to wait until the scan and see what happens.
Also - can anyone recommend a London clinic for the tests? I've contacted a couple and am surprised by prices!
Again off the top of my head as previous ivf was over a year ago we had to redo all tests at new clinic
I want to say it was around £800 for all bloods for df and I including cf and freezing sperm
What have you been quoted
Hi all just wanted to thank you again for your advice and let you know it all worked out.
We went to a central London clinic for the scan and blood tests and waited until we had those results and had spoken to the clinic in France before booking flights. Managed to make it into a mini break!
And thankfully defrost and transder went smoothly so now just have the dreaded TWW to get through!!
So will see what happens but grateful for all your advice.
@Rumplestrumpet glad to hear all went well! All the best for your tww xx
Join the discussion
Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.Get started »
Please login first.