Talk

Advanced search

Scan at 6+2- should I expect heartbeat?

(13 Posts)
Summerloving17 Fri 22-Mar-19 08:03:46

Hi ladies,
Just looking to understand whether I should expect to see a heartbeat at my scan next week? I had a scan this week after FET at 5+3 and we saw a gestational sac with yolk sac 🙌 and after an ectopic and recent miscarriage I am a bundle of nerves!!! The consultant wanted to wait until 10 days after the first scan but we are going on holiday so hoping there might be some reassurance before even though a bit early. If there isn’t anything is it likely to be a sign of impending miscarriage?
Thankyou xx

physicskate Fri 22-Mar-19 12:56:15

50/50 ( or less). I was told I was lucky to see a hb at 6+3. It was a tiny barely there flicker.

Summerloving17 Fri 22-Mar-19 13:05:05

Thankyou @physicskate x

BloominSloe Fri 22-Mar-19 13:11:41

I work in ultrasound. Usually you see a heart beat between 6-7 weeks. It could be a sign of early miscarriage or you could just be a lot earlier than you think. It's very common not to see a heart beat this early and many women go on to have completely normal pregnancies. Good luck with your scan!

JeNeBaguetteRien Fri 22-Mar-19 14:10:29

Summer how long are you going on holiday for? An early scan where a heartbeat is detected would be wonderful, but if it turns out to be too early could you end up going through (hopefully unnecessary) extra worry? 💐

Bloom great username!
OP will know exact dates after her FET. I. Your experience when is the point by which you'd say if there is no heartbeat there is no hope?

BloominSloe Fri 22-Mar-19 17:59:27

JeNe - So if you're absolutely sure of your dates, 100%, and have not seen a heartbeat by 7/8 weeks then the pregnancy is not likely to progress unfortunately.
If you were over 6 weeks at your first scan and there is no change by 7-10 days it's usually indicative of a miscarriage. If less than 6 weeks at your first scan and there is small changes/developments at the next scan, but still no heart beat, another scan is advised within another 7-10 days. Early pregnancy is so very tricky and it is mostly a waiting game unfortunately.

Summerloving17 Fri 22-Mar-19 19:15:00

@Bloominsloe Thankyou so much that’s really helpful. I guess I have to hope there’s a heartbeat and if not that there’s evidence of growth in the 6 days since my first scan.

@JeNe I’m going on holiday for 10 days, the consultant even unhelpfully said “are you still going to go on holiday if it’s bad news next week?!!” I said well we know it’s not anotherectopic now so I see no reason not to!!! I think I will be worrying regardless, just really hope we see some sort of progression if not a heartbeat next week. If not I’ll be 7+6 when I’ll next be able to have a scan so guess will know either way then!!! Trying to keep positive that this is my third time lucky pregnancy!!! X

Mumshappy Fri 22-Mar-19 19:18:29

With my second dd i had a threatenedmiscarriage and they didnt find a heartbeat until 8 weeks. Please try not to worry i know its virtually impossible though x

JeNeBaguetteRien Fri 22-Mar-19 20:00:08

Thank you Bloom you sound very sensitive and I'm sure that comes across to those you may have to break this news to in your work. A lot more sensitive than OP's consultant!

OP I am hoping very much for good news.
If it is 'borderline' when you go away would you have a scan at your destination? Only if it would help, I know you'd be in unfamiliar surroundings. I hope this is academic and you do hear a heartbeat and continue to term.

Summerloving17 Tue 26-Mar-19 16:17:30

Thankyou all for your support, I’m pleased to say we saw a heartbeat today and I am over the moon!!

JeNeBaguetteRien Tue 26-Mar-19 17:06:42

Thank you for sharing, so pleased for you 🌸
Hope you have a wonderful holiday!

BloominSloe Tue 26-Mar-19 22:58:53

That's fab news OP! I'm so pleased for you!

Mumshappy Wed 27-Mar-19 10:41:45

So happy for you OP. You can enjoy your pregnancy now.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »