TTC - want doctors to take me seriously

(7 Posts)
frexi Wed 13-Mar-19 20:05:24

Hi all. My husband (33) and I (25) have been ttc for 3 months with no success.

I know this doesn't sound like long - but Since I can remember I have had heavy painful AF, pain during sex, and cramping and extreme PMS for the whole two weeks leading up to AF each month. I also haven't taken any hormone based birth control for years as I would have constant bleeding with no breaks making me somewhat anaemic.

I have complained to doctors for years and have only ever been told to take painkillers or go on the pill.

Given the above, and knowing that my parents had fertility issues (12 years of trying and failed IVF before finally conceiving my twin and I) makes me whole heartedly believe we will have trouble conceiving.

How can I get the doctors to investigate and take me seriously? I have an appointment booked with my GP In a couple of weeks and don't want to go away feeling ignored like I have in the past about my symptoms.

Thank you!!! 

OP’s posts: |
AliceAbsolum Wed 13-Mar-19 20:07:29

Pay for a fertility MOT, the NHS won't do anything for a year.

user1494941729 Wed 13-Mar-19 20:12:21

I'm sure it's a year too... if it's fertility you're worried about you'll probably have to go private. However they may want to investigate the cause of painful intercourse etc

adulthumanwolf Wed 13-Mar-19 20:17:07

I think it has to be a year or 3 miscarriages on the NHS. sad

And it's only going to get worse with underfunding and Brexit. Can you get privately tested?

OhDiddums Wed 13-Mar-19 20:29:53

Unless you're over the age of 35, it's a year before they will investigate. Most couples can take up to a year of trying. As others have said you can go privately and then it will be looked into. At least privately you'll be seen in a matter of days.

I know it's hard OP but it could take less time you never know.

frexi Wed 13-Mar-19 21:28:31

Thanks everyone! - how do I go about getting a fertility MOT and how much does it cost?

OP’s posts: |
OhDiddums Thu 14-Mar-19 08:32:37

Not sure of the cost I'm afraid. But I went to see a private gynae consultant and it cost about £160 for an initial consultation. It's money well spent if you need reassurance.

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in