HyCoSy scan and not ttc that month?(9 Posts)
We've been trying for dc2 for 14 months (including an early mc cycle 2). I had an appointment with a nhs consultant who said my blood tests are fine as is my dh's sperm. She said they'll do a HyCoSy scan to check my tubes and the procedure also clears out your tubes, which can sometimes be enough. I've been trying for two weeks to book it and finally today got to speak to the booking person! She said they don't have any appointments at the moment but she thinks it will be end of March (it's at a different hospital) and she'll contact me when she does know the date. As you can't try for a baby before the scan date (could cause an ectopic) this would mean not ttc for March at all for me. And I don't even know if I'll even get an appointment!
So... would you a) carry on ttc and wait potentially months for the scan to fall at an early point in your cycle b) skip ttc for a month (don't know if I can handle doing this in case t was 'the month') in the hope that I do get an appointment c) pay probably a fortune to have it done privately (would have to have consultation etc first)?
I'm overthinking this I know! I've reached the massively fed up of sex stage. I know 14 months isn't that long, but it's affecting my mental health now, which has scared me quite a bit as I've been through some shit in my life and got through it, but this is really affecting me.
I'm pretty sure they will only do that test (or an hsg) on specific cycles days, which is pre-ovulation. I've heard cd10 bandied about??
I think the 'booking' person was being far too flippant...
She said they'll do it anytime as long as you're not heavily bleeding or past ovulation having had unprotected sex. I agree she was flippant though. I think I'll do some googling! Thanks
They make you do a pregnancy test before actually going ahead with the treatment. As in gown on in the room pee in the pot! So would get cancelled if you were pregnant.
I guess the problem is if the scan is just after the egg is fertilised then it won't show up on a pregnancy test, and then might be pushed into a Fallopian tube. I have no idea when end of March will be for me cycle wise, but my best guess is near the end of my cycle, therefore can't try that month. I guess I'll just have to wait and see when my period arrives and decide then ish.
I was in the same boat, appointment times were vague and I was told not to ttc that month (they didn’t schedule it at a particular time in my cycle). It stressed me out massively and I also wanted to have it done privately so that could time it early in my cycle. But after weighing up the costs I couldn’t do that, so I had to take the month off ttc.
It was mentally hard to do that, so I know where you’re coming from. But on the other hand, I felt happy to get that one test out of the way and it was some sort of relief to have a month off ttc (i.e had sex when we wanted to not when we had to, didn’t have to worry about scheduling work trips do that we werent apart when I was ovulating, having some wine!).
I was happy with that decision but it was a hard one to make.
Thanks cyclewoman. I think I'll just have to do what you did. At least there will be much less sex (been going for ever other day, but having a weirdly long cycle so am sexed out!).
It’s all very hard going. Good luck with it and I hope you find some upside if you do have to have a break.
Thank you. And good luck to you too if you're still ttc
Join the discussion
Please login first.