Talk

Advanced search

Gynaecologist appt - clomid?

(18 Posts)
Kelly199 Thu 14-Feb-19 13:15:43

Wonder if someone can help please? I have a gynaecology consultation appointment on 01/03. My GP said they'll most likely initially prescribe clomid. Does anyone know if this will be prescribed at that appointment or will I have to wait again to be seen? I'm paying private for the consultation and then they're referring me back to the nhs for treatment? Also, if they give me clomid, what days do they tend to get you to take them on? From my chart (I'm not regular all the time so could change), my appt date is day 5 of my cycle.
Any help is appreciated. Thanks.

Clarence58 Thu 14-Feb-19 15:55:14

I was prescribed clomid by the NHS. Before they prescribed it I had an ultrasound and a HSG to check my tubes were all clear etc. They said there would be no point prescribing clomid if the issue was actually to do with tube blockages etc. And also they checked my progesterone levels which showed I wasn’t ovulating.

They also tested my AMH levels which indicates your ovarian reserve. From what I hear, this isn’t a standard test in all NHS areas. In some areas you have to pay if you want this testing I think

Clarence58 Thu 14-Feb-19 15:55:58

Ps I take it cycle day 2 - 6. I think that’s the norm

Kelly199 Thu 14-Feb-19 16:22:37

Hi, thanks for your response.
I've had bloods and internal ultrasound.
Perhaps I would need the HSG then?
I've also had the progesterone levels and showed I wasn't ovulating. Seems that perhaps I would just need a HSG beforehand?
Ok, thanks for all your advice. Really grateful!

starfishy Thu 14-Feb-19 17:07:47

I had bloods and an internal ultrasound and then the consultant prescribed clomid.
Ultrasound was all fine, bloods showed I wasn't ovulating every month.
Didn't have an HSG. It may have been because I had a MMC the year before though so they worked on the assumption that my tubes are all clear. (Now 23 weeks pregnant from the first round of clomid so I guess they were right).
Good luck! X

Kelly199 Thu 14-Feb-19 17:53:52

Hi starfishy, thanks for the reply.
My scan showed pcos so I suppose an added thing!! I suppose the only thing I MAY need now then is an HSG, but I'm hoping it won't be long afterwards that they'll prescribe me with clomid (if that's what they think I'll need).
Did you have it at the consultation appointment or did you need to go back for another appointment for it?
Sorry about you mc and congratulations on your pregnancy!! Hope all will be ok for you. Really happy for you!

Kelly199 Thu 14-Feb-19 17:54:21

And I hope if I have the clomid it will work as good for me!! Xx

Clarence58 Thu 14-Feb-19 20:56:06

My journey went like this, I can’t remember exact time scales but it was something along the lines of...

1. Have bloods done at GP in September which showed I wasn’t ovulating so got referred to the hospital (husband had sperm tested in August and it was totally fine)

2. Saw the consultant in November who asked about mine and my husbands history. That day I had more blood taken and she requested the HSG and ultrasound. I can’t exactly remember what day of my cycle I had to go (it was after my period but before ovulation, something like day 10 or 11) and I just had to ring the department and book it myself as soon as my period started

3. Saw the consultant again in December who went through the results of my scans and bloods (all fine apart from v.low progesterone of 8) and prescribed me clomid that day

On cycle 1 I had to go and have my progesterone checked on day 21. Because it was good and showed I’d ovulated on 50mg (progesterone was 60) I won’t have any more monitoring. Other areas do things differently and scan each month to check follicles etc

This is my second cycle and I’m in the two week wait which is dragging. Fortunately I haven’t really had any side effects from clomid so far

Kelly199 Thu 14-Feb-19 21:13:23

Thanks so much for your reply!
I've had bloods to show I'm not ovulating and hormone ratio over 3 with progesterone levels being flagged up. Had transvaginal ultrasound too, so I'm hoping they won't repeat anything when I go or it would've been a waste of time! Partner also has SA test and good.
It's so annoying waiting all the time.
Did they say for your partner to go with you as I was planning on going on my own? No mention of partner going and as he has already had sa tested and fine, shouldn't need to??
Good luck in the 2ww!! Fingers crossed for you xx

Clarence58 Thu 14-Feb-19 21:52:34

Yeah he got sent his own letter telling him to come to the first appointment with me, they asked him quite a few questions about his health and any family health issues. He got a letter to come to the second appointment too but he was struggling to park, they called me in early and said it was fine to go ahead without him. The second appointment was pretty brief. Maybe if it hadn’t been as good news and they said I needed to go straight to IVF etc, then I suppose it would have been useful to have him there to talk through next steps

Kelly199 Thu 14-Feb-19 22:08:42

Maybe I should call just to make sure as he's in diff gp surgery to me.
Yeah, that's true. Hopefully they won't need him to be there as I think they can only test semen and that's it? As it's ok, there's no need? Be difficult for him to have time off work so easier if he doesn't need to come. I will double check though, thanks xx

sapphiregrace Fri 15-Feb-19 01:36:25

Hello I'm going through the same procedure and think the people above have pretty much covered it... it's such a long process but just to keep in mind too they won't prescribe clomid if your bmi isn't healthy too I knew someone who was too skinny and I'm over weight have to wait till April now to get weighed again... painful long process but will be worth it in the end try and stay positive xx

sapphiregrace Fri 15-Feb-19 01:38:29

I don't know your weight and not judging I'm just warning you because I had all scans and stuff and then I finally thought I was getting tablets then they checked my bmi I was devastated I have to wait longer... hopefully not case for you xxxx

Kelly199 Fri 15-Feb-19 07:33:43

Hi sapphiregrace, thanks for replying. Sorry to hear you're having to wait until April!! It is already feeling like a long time, so I really feel for you!!
No, I totally understand what you mean. I think my bmi should be ok, we shall see when they weigh me, I may be wrong!! Thanks for all your advice and good luck to you xxxx

sapphiregrace Fri 15-Feb-19 13:33:49

Aww that's great then! And yes it's such a long process before I went to doctors my friend who had been through it said main advice is have patience everything is a long waiting game now..... thank you good luck to you too smile xx

Kelly199 Fri 15-Feb-19 14:33:15

Yeah, the suspense is killing me haha.
Let me know any updates and how you get on. Really wish you the best xx

starfishy Sun 17-Feb-19 16:23:49

@Kelly199 I was referred to a fertility clinic where they took down all my info, cycle lengths, weight etc. They sent me for blood tests & ultrasound and sent DH for SA. They then arranged an appointment with the consultant for when the results would be due back. At that appointment, so the first time we saw him, he discussed the results with us and gave me the prescription for clomid.
Keeping my fingers crossed for you! X

Kelly199 Sun 17-Feb-19 21:34:25

Hi @starfishy, thanks for the reply, really appreciate it.
We've both had those tests done, so fingers crossed they'll prescribe it to me on my consultation appt x

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: