Talk

Advanced search

First GP appointment

(6 Posts)
edinbeezer Wed 13-Feb-19 12:19:20

Hi all. My husband and I have been trying since late 2017 and I fell pregnant in late Feb 2018 but had a mmc in April and chose surgical management. It took until August for my cycle to go back to normal and we have been trying again since then but have had no luck. As we're both 35 I have decided to go to the GP for some investigation. My appointment is on 1 March. I was wondering if anyone could tell me what to expect at the first GP appointment? Should my husband come with me or is it just a general chat at first? Many thanks in advance!

ImStillHungry Wed 13-Feb-19 12:34:34

Hi when me and DH went to the gp they had a good chat about how long we had been trying (2yrs) and what we had been using ie vitamins,opk and eating more healthy, drinking less and no smoking. The GP then put me forward to have 21day bloods and for DH to get an appointment to check his sperm as this is the only test the men have she wanted to get the results to rule out any issue asap. she said she would then look at both results and call us. It helped for us both to be there and understand the process.
When we went we were 30 and 31.

VenusStarr Wed 13-Feb-19 12:55:00

Hi @edinbeezer, I'm sorry about your miscarriage.

We went to the GP in November as that was a year for us (35 + 36). The GP said I needed cd21 and cd1-5 blood tests, triple swabs and an ultrasound. My GP said these were the standard tests but I know from other threads on here not all GPs seem to follow the same process. All done before Christmas. Dh had a sperm analysis appointment that was due in January but was then pushed back to March. We saw the GP to discuss my results as the scan showed something up but he said he won't refer until my dh has his sperm analysis. We paid privately for that in January, gave the GP the results and they still haven't referred us to the fertility clinic.

We booked a double appointment. Initially it seemed quite good and quick but we're struggling to get through the door which is very frustrating.

Good luck x

edinbeezer Wed 13-Feb-19 12:55:18

Thank you so much for your response. It's very much appreciated.

Kelly199 Wed 13-Feb-19 13:57:10

In still in early days as I have appt with doc tomorrow to discuss scan results, so will know more then of treatment plan.
Went to docs 9/01/19, she did blood tests which confirmed I hadn't been ovulating and hormone ratio was over 3 so she suspected pcos and sent me for a transvaginal scan.
My partner is at a different docs to make things more complicated, but he had an SA test done and came back good so no prob with him.
Had my scan yesterday and confirmed pcos I have 18 follicles on one ovary and 20 on the other.
Going to docs tomorrow to discuss my TP.
From what I've read with others, it obviously depends on what the problem is and if it's the male/female/both. Also, depends on GP too as some will refer you, some won't. Some will prescribe meds if needs be and some would rather refer you for a TP. I think if you're not happy with what your doc says when you go, get a second opinion.

Kelly199 Wed 13-Feb-19 13:57:50

Also, forgot to say, sorry for your mc. Wish you the best of luck with things x

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: