Talk

Advanced search

Sperm morphology 2%

(22 Posts)
JLW24 Wed 13-Feb-19 10:46:18

Hi

My husband has just found out he has sperm morphology of 2% which is considered low (4% is normal apparently). We have been trying to conceive for nearly a year. We are both going to be 40 this year and I have a child from my previous marriage (she's 9) but he has never had children. Everything else in his sperm check was good - above average.

The doctor was useless. Basically said she wasn't sure what that meant for us and referred him back to the fertility clinic - another long wait no doubt and it's made us both really anxious.

As I already have a child, I doubt the NHS will want to help us in any way and I feel time is running out for us.

Does anyone have any advice who has been through this, or has a medical background? Is there anything he can do to improve morphology?

LillyLeaf Wed 13-Feb-19 11:23:54

Can you afford to go private for IVF? I wouldn't waste any more time with the NHS as they won't do much more for you now. Sorry for the bad news but it looks like IVF is the way forward. Have you had all your test done?

JLW24 Wed 13-Feb-19 13:49:01

No unfortunately we can't afford to go private. I've had all of my tests and everything is OK at my end. Is there no hope of conceiving naturally?

tessiegirl Wed 13-Feb-19 13:50:53

Have you tried both taking fertility supplements? These improved my dhs morphology.

JLW24 Wed 13-Feb-19 14:18:01

I have been taking pre-pregnancy ones for the last 2 years. My husband started but they made him feel sick. Are there any in particular you can recommend? If you think it makes a difference then I'm sure he'll put up with being a bit queasy! How long did it take before they made a difference to your partner?

Kelly199 Wed 13-Feb-19 14:23:36

Hi, I've heard that Pyconogenol and L-glutathione are good for sperm morphology. Read a few stories of men having low morphology and having another SA 3 months later after taking these and it going from 1% to 6%. Don't know whether you want to research to find out? Suppose it's worth a try.
Good luck x

JLW24 Wed 13-Feb-19 15:22:31

Thank you so much x

Kelly199 Wed 13-Feb-19 15:37:44

No problem x

physicskate Wed 13-Feb-19 15:58:24

There is hope of conceiving naturally - especially if his overall count is really high (2% of 100,000,000 is a lot more than 2% of 1,000,000). It's a numbers game. If you have good numbers of eggs left (and no other issues), it's entirely possible. It might take awhile though.

There are various bits and lifestyle factors he could try to improve his results (as previously mentioned).

I'd also suggest you get your day 2-5 bloods taken and maybe amh (which is not offered on the nhs, but would cost a couple hundred pounds) to get an idea of your ovarian reserve. It might give you a tough idea of how much time is on your side...

JLW24 Wed 13-Feb-19 16:54:39

Good advice, thank you x

MrFlibblesEyes Wed 13-Feb-19 19:32:08

After trying for over a year DH and I began infertility testing in November. My initial bloods came back fine but the results of the sperm analysis were terrible, slightly low count and 0% normal morphology. The Dr suggested we tried proxeed plus for 3 months as that is the time it takes for new sperm to mature. It is a supplement recommended for improving sperm quality and then to be retested at the beginning of March. Well we haven't made it to the retest because I got my bfp on Saturday!

Obviously I can't say for certain that the Proxeed was the magic answer as he also left a stressful job which apparently can be a contributing factor in poor morphology but it could be worth a shot? It is quite pricey and works out at nearly £70 a month but you can get it delivered the next day on Amazon. Fingers crossed for you x

December2018 Wed 13-Feb-19 19:37:28

Fertilaid is really good, me and my partner tried for 7 years and started taking them for a couple of months and fell pregnant naturally we had less than 1% chance of conceiving naturally and I think for sure it was down to my OH taking fertilaid

JellycatElfie Wed 13-Feb-19 19:42:25

I came on to echo what has been said previously. If other numbers are above average then it matters a little less that he has 2% morphology, my dh had ‘poor’ progressive motility but his other counts were so high that we conceived both times naturally.

Toolchest13 Wed 13-Feb-19 19:57:13

My husband also had 2 percent morphology but everything else was ok. As all other things were ok the doctor suggested I try taking clomid before we proceeded with any other treatment. My results had come back ok so I was a bit sceptical. A month later I was pregnant. I unfortunately miscarried but then got pregnant without clomid 3 months later. I now have 2 DC. Many doctors won’t treat the woman if everything comes back ok but I’m so glad mine did.

My husband did take a few vitamins but intermittently when I reminded him! One thing he did do was switch to baggy boxers and buy a new saddle for his bicycle. He loves cycling and I think that was partly to blame.

Whatelsecouldibecalled Wed 13-Feb-19 21:10:03

You won’t qualify for NHs funding for IVF as there is already a child.

DH has issues with sperm. 1% morphology 2million in sample (normal is 15 million) 25% motility (50% is normal) he has been religious taking vit c 1000mg wellman conception tables and 100mg coq10. Also loose fitting boxers try to keep balls cool and good diet and exercise. Just had lasted SA through and morphology is at 8% volume is 9 million and motility is 53% so much improved. He has been taking supplements for just over a year. Hope that helps.

Whatelsecouldibecalled Wed 13-Feb-19 21:10:43

Also get him to take it with food not on an empty stomach.

tessiegirl Wed 13-Feb-19 21:23:23

My dh had a private sperm test around june 2014 where we found out his morphology was 1% but he had large numbers.
We both started taking his and her pregnacare trying for a baby supplements for 6 months.
Started ttc in October 2014 and we got bro in March 2015.
I also took folic acid plus vitamin d smile

tessiegirl Wed 13-Feb-19 21:23:56

Sorry not bro, bfp!!

MonkeyToucher Thu 14-Feb-19 08:14:27

My DH has very similar morphology but we were told that because his count was so high it wouldn’t matter. Ie 2% of a really high number is still more healthy sperm than 4% of a low number!

DC1 took 15 months to conceive but DC2 was first time - both naturally. I did have DH swap to looser boxers and only drink alcohol 2 night a week to help too...

JLW24 Thu 14-Feb-19 11:29:25

Thank you so much everyone. I had to tell you that we had the most incredible news last night! After receiving that diagnosis, we have been so busy obsessing about sperm morphology that we didn't realise how late I was. I did a test last night and turns out I'm pregnant!!! Goes to show, even if the odds are stacked against you, there is still hope. I'm still in shock!

MrFlibblesEyes Thu 14-Feb-19 12:53:48

Wow that's amazing, congratulations! 😁

Kelly199 Thu 14-Feb-19 13:16:06

Congratulations!!! So so happy for you xx

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »