Talk

Advanced search

TTC 3+ years - lady just thought I was pregnant

(8 Posts)
shortgreengiraffe Tue 05-Feb-19 13:29:04

Just coming for a moan/sob. Random woman I met at a conference asked how long I have left to work and looked at my stomach. I was wearing a loose fitting dress which I love. Obviously it looks like a maternity dress to her.

I changed the topic to stop her feeling awkward. Why was I so British about it? I should have called her out although she probably wouldn't have cared.

I thought being baby bombed was the worst but turns out this is.

sad That's awful, I'm so sorry!!!

That's a pretty mortifying social faux pas at the best of times, but cuts really deep when you have infertility. I hope the rest of your day is okay.

shortgreengiraffe Tue 05-Feb-19 13:47:26

Thanks. I think it was the dress style rather than my flab. Why would you say that? People have to be at least 8 months pregnant before I acknowledge it.

Ilikehamsandwiches Tue 05-Feb-19 13:55:14

Why do people do this? I had a woman ask me if I was pregnant a few weeks after I had had surgery for a ruptured ectopic, I was distraught. I was so polite to her to, wish I have stuck up for myself a bit. Never ever ever ask anyone if they’re pregnant, don’t no why some people find this so hard!

Ilikehamsandwiches Tue 05-Feb-19 13:56:31

Hope you’re okay though, try not to take any notice, some people are just a bit shit brained x

shortgreengiraffe Tue 05-Feb-19 14:09:02

Thank you and sorry it happened to you too.

Persipan Tue 05-Feb-19 14:34:23

I live by the old saying 'never assume a woman is pregnant unless you actually see a baby coming out of her'. Sorry you've had that experience, it's rubbish.

shortgreengiraffe Tue 05-Feb-19 14:39:18

Thank you. It was clear she was socially inept even before her faux par.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »