TTC 3+ years - lady just thought I was pregnant

(8 Posts)
shortgreengiraffe Tue 05-Feb-19 13:29:04

Just coming for a moan/sob. Random woman I met at a conference asked how long I have left to work and looked at my stomach. I was wearing a loose fitting dress which I love. Obviously it looks like a maternity dress to her.

I changed the topic to stop her feeling awkward. Why was I so British about it? I should have called her out although she probably wouldn't have cared.

I thought being baby bombed was the worst but turns out this is.

OP’s posts: |

sad That's awful, I'm so sorry!!!

That's a pretty mortifying social faux pas at the best of times, but cuts really deep when you have infertility. I hope the rest of your day is okay.

shortgreengiraffe Tue 05-Feb-19 13:47:26

Thanks. I think it was the dress style rather than my flab. Why would you say that? People have to be at least 8 months pregnant before I acknowledge it.

Ilikehamsandwiches Tue 05-Feb-19 13:55:14

Why do people do this? I had a woman ask me if I was pregnant a few weeks after I had had surgery for a ruptured ectopic, I was distraught. I was so polite to her to, wish I have stuck up for myself a bit. Never ever ever ask anyone if they’re pregnant, don’t no why some people find this so hard!

Ilikehamsandwiches Tue 05-Feb-19 13:56:31

Hope you’re okay though, try not to take any notice, some people are just a bit shit brained x

shortgreengiraffe Tue 05-Feb-19 14:09:02

Thank you and sorry it happened to you too.

Persipan Tue 05-Feb-19 14:34:23

I live by the old saying 'never assume a woman is pregnant unless you actually see a baby coming out of her'. Sorry you've had that experience, it's rubbish.

shortgreengiraffe Tue 05-Feb-19 14:39:18

Thank you. It was clear she was socially inept even before her faux par.

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in