Talk

Advanced search

February / March 2019 IVF / ICSI

(333 Posts)
Thund4rcat Tue 05-Feb-19 11:40:42

Hi all, starting a new thread for those of us who are starting IVF treatment in February.

This will be my second round of ICSI, I start buserelin injections on 17th February. We have MFI (low sperm count) and after our first cycle ended in a chemical pregnancy, I demanded a laparoscopy because I have always had painful periods. The lap discovered I have mild endometriosis and mild adenomyosis but the surgeon said it was mild enough to not affect my fertility.

I am continuing with the NHS, doing a second fresh cycle. We have 3 frozen embryos from the first round as backup if this one doesn't work...

Would be good to have some cycle buddies to share support over the next couple of months...

AliceAbsolum Tue 05-Feb-19 14:08:30

I hope I start by march. Funding just been approved.

I'm Alice
TTC#1
3.5 years unexplained

Never seen a whiff of a bfp. Sooo impatient now.

AliceAbsolum Tue 05-Feb-19 14:13:13

Why wouldn't they use the 3 frozen before starting a new fresh @Thund4rcat ?

Thund4rcat Tue 05-Feb-19 15:43:53

@AliceAbsolum Hello! Good luck on your first round. Let us know if you have any questions for someone who has gone through it!

RE fresh vs frozen, they gave me a choice. On NHS where I live they will only do a maximum of two fresh cycles out of a total three cycles. So I figured it was best to do another fresh cycle, so if it doesn't work, I will hopefully have even more embryos to add to the frozen collection... So there is more to choose from if I have to use them. Because they will all vary in quality, more choice will hopefully mean more likelihood of high quality frozen embryos.

Also, even if this round does work, I'll hopefully have extra frozen ones to choose from if I ever decided to try for a second baby through private IVF.

Hope that makes sense.

Ilikehamsandwiches Tue 05-Feb-19 16:19:25

Good luck ladies, I’ve just finished my first round xxx

AliceAbsolum Tue 05-Feb-19 17:05:57

@Thund4rcat thank you X That makes a lot of sense, get the fresh done and then see where you are...in theory you could have like 5 kids! grin

Twiglet2353 Tue 05-Feb-19 17:54:32

Hello I'm coming to join.

Hopefully starting down regulation end of Feb providing our funding approved.

Just had final preliminary appointment this morning to talk through DHs detailed SA and have our screening bloods repeated (only last so long apparently).

Should be pressing ahead with IVF. DHs progression a little on the low side and 2% less than the cut off, but because his count is high enough this should hopefully be okay.

Good luck @Thund4rcat @AliceAbsolum and fingers crossed for you @Ilikehamsandwiches

AliceAbsolum Tue 05-Feb-19 18:00:56

@Twiglet2353 Yay Clomid buddy! pleased to see you. There is so much waiting isn't there. Eep exciting though. How many cycles do you get with your CCG?

Twiglet2353 Tue 05-Feb-19 18:02:49

@AliceAbsolum I thought it might be you but slight name change! Yey for going through it all together.

So fed up of the waiting! If we knew it wasn't starting end of this month we'd at least book a couple of nights away to cushion the blow, but instead we just have to wait and see!

And only one funded round with my CCG - what about yours?

CCS83 Tue 05-Feb-19 18:04:44

Hi I’ve come over from the Jan/feb board as I ended up having to have a freeze all cycle due to OHSS despite it being mild ivf
I have 3 blastos in the freezer and hope to start FET process as soon as next period starts 🤞

AliceAbsolum Tue 05-Feb-19 18:09:57

@Twiglet2353 Oh yea forgot about the name change. You're so right about holidays I have no idea whether to book anything or not, don't want to keep life on hold because of IVF but at the same time I'd hate to delay cycles because of a holiday. Might just have to book last minute in the summer.
We get one funded, but DH and I have decided to use IVF insurance and fund another 2 if needed. It's all our money, but we get it back if no baby, so.

AliceAbsolum Tue 05-Feb-19 18:11:18

@CCS83 Hey, shame they had to freeze everything sad hopefully a frosty baby for you though!

I'm worried about OHSS but what can you do. Did you ever take Clomid?

Twiglet2353 Tue 05-Feb-19 18:13:53

@AliceAbsolum yeah is that through Access Fertility?

@CCS83 Fingers crossed for your FET. Think there's a research study ongoing about whether frozen cycles are actually more effective overall to give your body a break. I've been told I have a 90% chance of OHSS today because of my elevated AMH (no PCOS), but I understand the severity of it can differ quite widely x

CCS83 Tue 05-Feb-19 18:14:15

@AliceAbsolum hi no I’ve never been on clomid - I only have 1 tube due to an ectopic last year but ovulation has always been fine for me. X

CCS83 Tue 05-Feb-19 18:19:05

@twiglet2353
I’ve heard that too that FET can be more successful! My OHSS was a surprise as only on low level stims and low AMH of 12. Luckily mine was caught early as my estradiol levels went sky high by cycle day 8 . Apparently drinking lots of water etc helps ease the symptoms x

AliceAbsolum Tue 05-Feb-19 18:30:26

Yes access fertility. They seem legit.

@CCS83 ah ok, I wondered if someone has a good experience on Clomid then the chance of OHSS was low.
Interesting about AMH being a risk factor. Mines slightly low so not sure if I can draw any conclusions from that. Ah the uncertainty.

Twiglet2353 Tue 05-Feb-19 18:53:27

Oh and got thrown with this classic today IN THE IVF UNIT of all places, and by a member of staff...

"You never know, if you book a holiday and just relax a bit it might happen".

I replied with "Thank you Karen, I think we're maybe past that...🤨"

AliceAbsolum Tue 05-Feb-19 19:20:44

Wow. The state of that. Is Karen a health care professional?!

Twiglet2353 Tue 05-Feb-19 19:35:19

She was an auxiliary. I understand people mean well and good but the majority of the time it's really not worth giving us infertile lot suggestions or 'positive vibes', we're all past that 😂

LIONA1990 Tue 05-Feb-19 22:07:50

Hi I'm joining from the Dec/ Jan one as I also had a 'freeze all cycle' which wasn't planned. I over stimulated but not by much. It was just the Clinic's policy should more than 17 eggs be collected. And this round, I've managed to get 10 in the freezer!!!! I can't quite believe it considering last time I only had one embryo make it to a fresh blastocyst.

Mind you (I'm just sharing this as a positive news story) that blastocyst was a medium/low grade blastocyst of 3BD which (if we believed what we read everywhere), wouldn't of worked but Im a proud mum of a beautiful gorgeous 9 month old baby girl. No problems with her and normal birth. Hope that brightens your days ladies. smile

Anyhow, this time I was not expected a FET cycle as I didn't actually expect any eggs as my hormone levels have got significantly worse since last time but there you go! Life is very bizarre sometimes.

Anyhow, wishing you all the luck in the world and desperately waiting for my period to come!!!!

Good luck everyone!!! Xxx

Booksandstuff Wed 06-Feb-19 04:26:50

Hi all,

Joining here as I'll be starting first round this March. Still need to have some bloods done this month.

TTC over two years and not one BFP. Not sure what the problem is. I had a lap last year and have mild endo and long and erratic cycles.

Looking forward to getting started, although nervous too!

Auntierea Wed 06-Feb-19 08:54:40

Hi everyone! This is my first post / reply so please humour me if I start rambling or question the abbreviations you're using!

I started my first cycle on 1st Feb - short protocol taking 225 of Meriofert. I have my first scan today and then hopefully on to Cetrorelix

We've been TTC for 6yrs but I had to lose 4stone for NHS treatment!

Decided to join the forum as my best friend and sis-in-law moved to Cyprus with my RAF brother yesterday so other than my OH I'm pretty much doing this alone!

Wishing you all you ladies all the luck in world 💓

WineWinner Wed 06-Feb-19 18:54:56

Hi ladies, currently on day 3 of Progynova for my first FET. Lost our first fresh positive at 5w5d in Dec so feeling pretty anxious. There's a lot less time and less drugs in my frozen but I already feel these drugs where as I was actually ok with the injections etc. Not sure if I'm also just more aware of everything tho... anyone else having FET?

kv785301 Wed 06-Feb-19 21:03:53

Dear all, 

Im joining as I'm on the same protocol as @Auntierea  but starting on 17/2. We doing  IVF abroad as we were declined by NHS for not being with our gp long enough ( we are contesting it) .  I'm having the 1St scan on 21/2 here in UK  and then rest the following week abroad. Still in a daze at the speed of the IVF  abroad as being  dragged by NHS for a year thru all unnecessary tests and surgeries.  Good luck to you all. 

Ginandtonic31 Wed 06-Feb-19 23:27:39

Hi everyone,

I was on the December/January thread but officially start stims for round two 15th Feb so wanted to join in here.

We are having ICSI because my husband carries a gene that can cause a nasty disease if passed on. We don’t want have a child with the gene and risk it being so unwell so any embryos that make it to day 5 will be biopsies, frozen and tested for the gene. We did our first round last June and unfortunately I only got 4 eggs!! 3 fertilised and 1 made it to biopsy and the freezer. Unfortunately it had the gene so back to square one. My dose is being upped so I’m hopeful of a better round, although I’m carrying more weight this time around and worried that might impact. We can only try our best and see! And I’m 32 by the way but my OH 45 so time isn’t on our side!!

I’ve booked a couple of holidays for end of March and one for May as I should have results of any embryos by end of March then I can relax and hopefully after my holidays have something to transfer. If not it’s back on the waiting list we go!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: